Update on sherline CNC lathe

Sounds good when can you bring it by?

I put the chassis in the spare parts cabinet, top shelf. Hope you can use it.

2 Likes

DUH on my part… LOL… New here & didn’t look at the Org post date…

In my old version of Mach 3 … there is a page to route pins, + / - signals, etc… Should be in Ver 4 I would think. & if I remember right, It’s in an unlikely place / tab… LOL

Thanks rich

It’s under the USB Parallel Adapter settings.

1 Like

I’d like to help on this, who’s the right person to get some tasks from?

That would be me, I will come in tomorrow and take a look at Rich’s box and plotting things out. What makes this interesting is the fact that signal wire will be going to the motors not stepper pole wires.

Yup… Ole Mach 3 was pretty good to drive Steppers… Link is to my old table top CNC I built many years back… ( video isn’t that good )… The home brew driver PCB used ST Micro’s L297’s & L298’s …

Plenty of circuits to build a stepper controller that Mach 3 or 4 will drive, on the internet… If you want a High Quality one you may consider a GeckoDrive…
https://www.geckodrive.com/stepper-motor-controls.html

Made some progress tonight. We mounted the components & start the wiring. Turns out we do not seem to currently have any 7/8 stepbits. Had I known I would have brought my own in & saved me an hour of looking.

8 Likes

So I soldered the leads on the quick connects tonight. Chris Wischkowsky the other day wired the steppers to the female quick disconnect end. No pictures today, I have to replace the glass for the camera on my phone tonight.

4 Likes

What is the status of this project?

From Machine shop Committee meeting & Minutes 10-27-18

Is the deadline Jan 1 or 31?

1 Like

We didn’t really decide, that I remember. Perhaps by the meeting since its scheduled for Jan 26th

1 Like

It will be meeting time

1 Like

Forward Progress. She shall be dubbed “Side Chick” lol. We still need to do limit switches, wire duct & some smaller finishing touches.

6 Likes

Looking good!

Is that under program control or manual control?

Just manual. We were having issues just trying to get it to move. That’s a long story in itself, but we got it.

I forgot to add a picture of what the wiring looks like so far. We have been tempted to do an auto speed control for the spindle but in the end we don’t think it can be justified. But we may add it later.

6 Likes

Nice clean wiring job.

2 Likes

The first cuts on the CNC Sherline. This was just to proof to run. We need to get a CPC connector or something similar for the spindle.

11 Likes