Underglaze stick question?

Okay, I’m going to look this up when I have some time at work today. I’m SO glad I put a cookie under this but any idea why on earth underglaze would stick? I thought it’s whole purpose was not to.

Seems you were hit with the if it can go wrong it will go wrong bug.

Underglazes typically don’t stick, run or flux. But, that is most of the time. The fumes from other pieces in the firing can have effects as well as residue on the racks from previous firings. I’ve even seen fresh coated racks stick for no good reason.

Just the bugaboos of ceramics.

Well boo. Yeah, I was nervous because I hadn’t actually used underglaze so made sure a cookie was under it but it seemed to have stuck to the cookie. Guess I may be SOL on the possibility of fumes from other pieces then. Now just trying to figure out if there’s a way I can semi save this piece because other than the bottom, turned out how I wanted it to.

Fui, did you kiln wash the cookie? What’s stuck on the bottom? Hardened clay or kiln wash? Might be able to dremel it off.

The cookie was one of the ones already at the space that already had kiln wash. There is a mix of the cookie (aka hard clay) and kiln wash stuck to the bottom.

Ah, diamond files would be another option for getting that off. (Would use mask either way).

Some underglazes can flux. Great call on the cookie!

A great plan would be to put one under everything painted in any technique, to help reduce the shelf grinding time, and extend the shelf life. Ive campaigned for this to be put into place for a couple of years.

I understand someone has recently made cookies, they are destroyed often. If more are needed I’ll be happy to help just let me know if, or when more are needed.

2 Likes

Yes, I cut out 28 cookies last weekend, but not sure if anyone else made more.

1 Like

I’ve made some too, just need to put some kiln wash on them.

Do we have a specific spot for usable cookies? I was always a little unclear on the stack on the shelf there and if it was just a ‘use when you need one’ thing, same with the pendant racks.