Turning off air assist to cut fabric

Does Blitzen (or whichever of the smaller lasers is by the back door) have an air assist you can turn off? Donner and thunder do with little flag things you rotate but last time I was on blitzen I was looking for one and didn’t see any. Is it just a matter of turning on and off the zing switch?

AFAIK, Donner and Blitzen are identical. If there is an air assist on one, there should be on the other. The laser maintenance records on the wiki show evidence of air assist on both of them.

The Zing switch isn’t going to affect the air on Blitzen, and the Zing won’t fire its laser if the air switch is off.

I know this isn’t what you’re asking, but when I cut fabric I leave a lot of tiny flags on the parts so they don’t blow up and catch on the laser head.

EDIT: I meant tabs, not “flags”.

1 Like

Hm… well when it comes available I’ll double check but I think Blitzen just has a tube where Donner and Thunder have a rotary flag.

The Zing switch isn’t going to affect the air on Blitzen, and the Zing won’t fire its laser if the air switch is off.

For a while there we had to have the Zing switch on when using Blitzen so wasn’t sure if that was still the case.

What do you mean by using ‘lots of tiny flags on parts…’?

I think the blitzen flag broke off.

I should have said tabs. Sorry. I interrupt the vector cut, leaving a bunch of places about 0.050" wide - typically at both ends of each piece and also in the middle if it’s a really long piece. I have to snip those places by scissors to extract the fabric but it prevents a whole lot of problems when I do the cut.

1 Like

Ah, thanks. That’s a really good idea.

1 Like

I should point out that the blower fans should always be on. Thats what the toggles are on the outside of the machines for the zing and thunder. - all 4 need this on as long as the lasers are cutting. No exceptions.

The air assist is either controlled in software for the zing, or by physically turning it off on the laser gantry of the thunderlasers. - this can be turned off to prevents your parts from blowing away. But use a ton of caution.

1 Like

Blitzed (by the back foot) is configured so that the assist cannot be disabled.

1 Like