Turn signal relay verses flasher?

I just bought a 1994 Honda Civic Del Sol SI which had been sitting for a few years (which is like forever in Illinois), and I have slowly been piecing it back together.
The turn signal (left or right) can take up to ten seconds to start flashing when the car is cold (never have this problem when it is warmed up). I just assumed it was the turn signal flasher $10 bucks no problem. However, when I looked it up there is a turn signal flasher ($15) and turn signal relay ($132). Never had a Honda before, so I was a bit confused. I got down in there and the thing called a Turn Signal Relay is what “clicks”, and has a six wire plug. I can’t even find a turn signal flasher, and if the relay controls the turn signals, what is the turn signal flasher even for?
So I have a couple questions. What is the difference between the two, is there any suggestions to figure out which is the problem. And where is a good place to buy a Turn Signal Relay if that is the problem??many thanks.
I have learned many details about turn signal relay

Don’t know much about '94 Del Sols, but something about flashers that may be useful: Flashers (particularly older ones) are controlled by bi-metallic strips – which is to say, they’re thermally controlled. So while they can certainly fail, they can also just “act funny” if the wrong bulb is used. There are a number of bulbs that share mount types but have slightly different current/wattage ratings, and how much juice they draw changes how quickly the strip in the flasher heats up. So, yet another troubleshooting possibility there.

1 Like

Weird, I’d always heard flasher/relay used interchangeably. That said, $132 seems really high to me, I would expect it to be like $30 at most.

You’re all correct. It depends on the context and time frame/ make model of the car for part application and of course the cost.
An early simple flasher relay was a bi-metal switch and yes as Slinky said wrong bulbs, or a dead bulb causes a change in in the blinker rate.
A “Relay” is still a switch, but with an energized coil and contacts, most common 4, 5, 6, 8, pin hella style relays are less than $20 each. (But some special relays get really expensive for some car applications)

2 Likes

Remove a similar 6 pin relay from another location in your panel from something that you KNOW works like the wipers and swap it for the turn signal relay, then try the turn signals (you need to turn the key to the ACC position) - basic troubleshooting.
Just don’t forget to put whichever good relay you borrowed back. …

2 Likes

I once borrowed a relay to try instead of the fuel pump relay. At random, happened to pull the one that powered most of the ECU. I try to be more careful about which ones I “borrow” since then.

1 Like

I would recommend this video from Technology Connections regarding the technical history behind turn signal design and implementation. It may or may not be useful, but is definitely entertaining and informative.

Turn Signal Synchronization

1 Like

Former Honda tech here.

The Turn Signal Flasher generates a timed on/off signal using a bimetal as we all know. The Turn Signal Relay is responsible for supplying high-current power to the appropriate lights, so the Multifunction Switch Stalk doesn’t have to handle the ~15-20a of current drawn by all of the lights. If I recall correctly, the multifunction switch energizes the Turn Signal Relay coil, which closes the relay, supplying power to the Flasher, which directly powers the lights. I believe there were a few years where the order of flasher and relay are reversed, before they finally moved to computerized control, but I don’t think it was as early as '94.

If the lights aren’t coming on at all, then start flashing properly, you likely have a failed Relay. If the lights come on and stay on for several seconds before they start flashing properly, you likely have a failed Flasher.

3 Likes