Tuesday/Wednesday Machine Shop Meeting: Minutes

Nine persons attended. Hopefully even more tomorrow night. April’s meeting will be on a Wednesday & Thursday. May will be Tuesday & Wednesday. Hopefully this alternating schedule will allow the maximum number to attend.

David Kessinger nominated unopposed as Chair: Vote 9-0. Tomorrow’s meeting will also have a vote, so this is not final.

Discussed current status of our new to us lathe.
— Everything works, including the coolant system. Gives great showers when machine operating. When running at 2,500 rpm may be able to wash cars on lift. Fabricating and rebuilding splash guards. Expect lathe to in be use and replacing old lathe sometime as early as this week.
— Looking to donate old lathe to another 501©(3) Makerspace starting out that is building up their collection. For about $250 they can have it back to where we are (we are keeping some tools). It is a usable and better than nothing. Don’t want spend months trying to get what would probably be only a couple hundred dollars. Took a year to get rid of Southbend lathe.

Discussed other Machine Shop rules: No compressed air guns for blowing chips, except one inside and integral to HAAS, in Machine Shop. Flying chips an eye hazard. Passed 9-0

Nick wanted know if enclosed shoe requirement could be changed to allow sandals. A motion was made to keep the closed shoe rule to protect people from themselves: Passed 6-2, closed shoes required when in Machine Shop.

Discussion over what tools are desired.
Have put in for 50% funding match from BoD for Bench top lathe, mill and 10 HAAS tool changer repair kits. Total Request is for ~$2,100

Richmeyer: Brought in a great collection of books and magazines on machining that covers a wide range. These are in the Machine Shop. You are free to BORROW a couple at a time, read copy, etc. and return. Hopefully we can find some projects that Machine Shop and Metal Shop can cooperate on and build.

Reminder: those that couldn’t attend tonight please attend tomorrow meeting to discuss whatever you wanted.

Formal meeting over in about 50 minutes.

2 Likes

Sorry I can’t make these… I’m in Phoenix for work meetings until late tomorrow night.

If it matters, my vote is for David. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Need proxy if you want it to count. Thanks!

I won’t make tomorrow’s meeting. I need a proxy to vote for @Photomancer. Any takers?

Thanks,

— Zach

I’ll be there tonight. I’ll be your proxy.

1 Like

@TBJK, Tim, I’m in the same boat needing proxy to vote for @Photomancer, if you could please.

It would be much appreciated.

I believe @richmeyer brought in the books/magazines. Wonderful resource!

Oops, corrected - sorry Mr. Meyers.

No problem. I will proxy as well.

1 Like

I’ll be there tonight as well. Looks like nobody wants David’s job … :wink:

2 Likes