Trying to Repair a backpack

A friend asked if I could repair this strap on his hiking backpack. I’ve done a quick stitch to tack the actual strap, but given that this is a weekender backpacking pack it really needs reenforcement of stitching it to the cushion part like it’s pair. Problem is, it’s obviously thick. It squishes some but not a ton.

My super basic Brother at home can’t really suffice. So, suggestions anyone?
I could always try and hand stitch but that’s not ideal.

I would either hand-stitch it or use the Thor.

I thought about Thor, but back when I took the class (when we first got it) we only had one size needle and I think it’s too large for this task. Any idea if we have smaller options now?

I’m not sure… We should ask @jrkriehn. I think the ones that the Pfaff uses might be smaller, but I don’t know if those would fit in Thor.

The needles for the industrials and the needles for the domestics are different lengths, which is why they are not interchangeable.

A member recently bought needles for the consew, and I think he got us a few different sizes. I don’t remember whether he got a larger selection for Thor or not. I don’t think the two industrials are interchangeable either.

The Pfaff could punch through, but I don’t know whether you could accommodate the thickness. And it use same needles as baby locks/Viking.

I would suggest a sewing awl, which I have used successfully for similar projects.

2 Likes

This is the same punching awl used in leatherworking and I suspect it would do a great job.

The smallest is a #23 that they had for the Thor, so that’s probably the smallest we have.

I did get leather point needles for the Consew, but I’m not sure if that machine could handle those straps.

How about just taking it to REI? They are usually good about fixing equipment.

I’d use a “speedy-stitcher” sewing awl. I used to sew my caving vertical gear with one and my life literally depended on the stitching holding up.

Harbor Freight sells a cheap sewing awl, but having used both, I’d spring for an actual Speedy-stitcher.

SPEEDY STITCHER-SPEEDY STITCHER https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B003MAACPS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fab_jMsFFb0HN3B1V

2 Likes

I think we have some awls in the leather area? Although likely not this type. I’ve never actually used one but the premise seems simple enough. Worth a try anyway