Tripods / setup for very vertical photography?

I don’t know what the current photography situation is, but I’m looking to do a lot of foam trays for tools. Since I’m doing enough I’m considering lasering, and if I do that means making good profiles of everything so I can remake them down the line.

I’m thinking of making a template, and photographing tools on the template from above. With even lighting I can run an edge algorithm to make reasonable results.

I know there was (maybe still is?) the whitebox for photographing projects, but do any of the tripods have enough spread for photographing vertically on them? I’m sure I could finagle something to work regardless, but the cleaner the better.

The footprint of the template will need about 2x2 feet.

I would strongly consider not using a tripod for a 2x2’ field of view. I am not familiar with the tripods available at DMS, however, tripods are designed to be more or less portable which limits their size/height. I would use a clamp (sometimes called a super or ultra clamp) which provides a 1/4-20 male thread, enabling mounting a ball head or directly mounting the camera.

What (I think) you want is essentially a large copy stand. Considering what I know of your problem, I would place a camera as high as I could get it (an open stair case would be helpful) and use as long a focal length as I could get away with (to minimize distortion). This may be excessive given the error in size that foam will tolerate.

I would also consider using a light box instead of a white box- this will simplify your edge finding by making the image essentially a white background with the tool as a shadow.

drb

Would scanning each tool on a flatbed scanner at the same dpi work? Save at the appropriate size and you have a 1:1 digital image of each tool which you can move around on a larger canvas.

Assuming you want to look down at a ~2x2 foot area.
Many tripods allow you to invert the center column so your camera is looking down at the area between the legs. You’ll need a ball head (or other) to rotate the camera 90 to point down. You’ll need to adjust the legs and center column for the focal length of your lens.

There is (was?) a tripod a tripod where the legs do not go up to a your typical “platform”. Legs go up to “wafers” and a common tightning lever. Legs can be adjusted along with adjusting “center column” to put camera out over subject. Hard to describe. I have one. Think brand is something Benro? Brenbo? Will need to dig it out.

Wild idea - can you simply trace the tool?

Update - tripod is Benbo Trekker MK3

1 Like

We have a couple tripods that can shoot straight down, but they may not give you the field of vision you need.

We also have a frame for hanging backdrops, you could easily mount a camera on that looking down and shoot that was with an unobstructed field for the pictures.

DMS tripods, sorry no such luck. I do have one though that should fit the need.

@hon1nbo let me know if you want to borrow this one. Appreciate all you do and all you’ve helped me with personally.

The streaming cart has a background stand that combined with one of the magic arm clamps should enable what you are looking for.

2 Likes