Trebuchet SIG 2016 Build (season over)

Will the Bridgeport be available after 6PM for any length of time?

I don’t expect to use bridgeport for more than 30 minutes early tomorrow, mainly assembling parts now. Have 10 ~3" tall 2.5" diameter dom pipe pieces that I need to square the ends up on, was thinking it would be faster to put it vertically in v block in bridgeport and run shell mill across face vs chucking each one up in lathe.

1 Like

I will not be able to get there till 6:30 PM. But I am ready to fuse some metal. Keep me posted, boss.

1 Like

Oh, I will also be there Wednesday.

EDIT: We might be able to get around putting relief beads on the center bit. I have a portable oxy-fuel rig and I just need a rosebud tip and we can heat it up. I used to take the warp out of I beams this way.

1 Like

Alternate casters arrived and they are much better than the existing ones, should be drop in replacements. It only cost us $44 to learn that you want to order your ebay 8" v groove wheels from charleskbjj and not servicecaster

(Groove not shown in this picture, but new ones look perfect vs the voids in existing ones)

4 Likes

You are denying your readers the money shot they desire.

Got the weights poured today, first milled the ends of pipe to be perfectly perpendicular and a consistent height

Welded on the rebar (paper template guide was not the best idea)

Turns out to be harder than expected to make the outer sheet metal a circle

Rented a mixer to mix the 13 80 pound bags

3 Likes

Just a reminder that the last Trebuchet Builder’s meeting will be 7PM Wednesday at TheLab in Plano: http://www.meetup.com/TheLab-ms/events/233968782/

2 Likes

Can anyone from our group make it? Would be good to go over logistics of the event and get some tips on projectiles and sling design.

I am planning to attend. I’ll take notes and summarize.

Any questions I should ask?

1 Like

I’m assuming there is no registration for competitors, we just show up with a device?

What are slings/pouch typically made out of? Any lessons learned on what doesn’t work for sling design?

Will a 4 2.5 foot long 1/2" diameter stakes to anchor trebuchet to ground be adequate in the likely soggy soil?

If there are any other floating arms there, what arm pivot ratio, arm to sling length, and counterweight to projectile weight ratio do they use?

I may be able to attend also

@Bill …

This is a fairly important question. Since there is an admission fee for spectators, does our “crew” have to buy admission tickets? If they don’t, how many “crew” tickets do we get?

Also, at what time are we allowed to set up?

1 Like

K, so being the size of trebuchet we are, we can have 8 crew members who will get in for free.

We can also have a DMS tent (with 2 extra crew) to advertise the space. (Can we borrow a gazebo from blacksmith? @sarah @jhaskins )

Crew needs to arrive early (and help set up) in the morning to get in free (and also clean up afterwards).

Let me know if you want to be crew for trebuchet or DMS Tent

@Brandon_Green Burlap, trampoline fabric, or woven paracord makes a good pouch. Apparently the pouch is the first thing to break so we need to put some time into it (and spares)

Also Brandon, we cannot insert stakes into the ground at all. There are electrical utility lines running under the park

4 Likes

It is importantly to note that in Texas, any ground disturbance over 16" in depth requires 811 to be called. That includes digging in your front yard, staking your tent, staking a trebuchet, or installing a waterline.

Literally any ground disturbance.

required by whom/what authority?
http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/UT/htm/UT.251.htm
good to know. Gotta re-think that DIY sprinkler system… :wink:

also,

that’s a pretty serious tent-staking…

2 Likes

Thanks for the info, we will need a plan B, would it be easier to haul out a ton of dead weight in sand bags and anchor to those or spend a hundred dollars in steel box tubing and cable to create a rigid support structure?

Calling for locate should be free. It just makes it more obvious who is at fault if you do hit something that was marked. It also exonerates you from damages to things they failed to mark. (To an extent)

And you shouldn’t need to dig deeper than 12 inches for most sprinkler installs in Texas anyway. But a locate before is probably a good idea anyway.

1 Like

Buy the sand in bags then return when your done with them? Lol

1 Like

I know Brandon said earlier that we won’t be allowed to drive onto the field. Are we certain about that? Why can’t we drive onto the field? They allow it for the balloon festival. There is plenty of photographic evidence of that.

If we could drive onto the field, maybe we could somehow tether to one or two trucks.

1 Like