Trebuchet SIG 2016 Build (season over)

Sunday 3pm should be fine. Thanks for all the work you’re putting in Brandon!

2 Likes

Got two quotes for the metal, both about $620 delivered, things like the 1 ton rated 8in caster wheels and various hardware bits would be another 300-400 dollars.

Metals4u quote
Metals Supermarket quote

3 Likes

That should bring us well below budget which is good. Pretty sure we will burn through quite a lot of MIG consumables though

Was thinking of how to the arm centered / on track, when I realized that we should just use v groove wheel that rides on steel angle, ebay has very cheap options

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-x-2-V-Groove-Wheel-for-Casters-or-Equipment-5-8-Axle-Bore-/321997805828?hash=item4af8909904:g:qm4AAOxyaURTe2Nv

Made better triggers for the small scale, which worked great at dropping the 50 pounds. Also found out that water balloons are not a good projectile, because most of the time they cant handle the acceleration and burst in the sling. (tiny water balloons worked)

1 Like

Ah, but when they did work, they were flying a relatively consistent ~160 feet.

Here’s hoping that the improved sling and a trough will result in more consistent throws.

I think the guys at thelab.ms double bagged their water balloons so they wouldn’t pop on launch

1 Like

Started ordering full scale parts, ~$900 so far, metal, casters, winch, bolts, taps. Should be able to get everything in this week and start full scale construction next sunday, 9/25.

Any guesses on how many times a typical car battery could survive a 50-75 amp draw for 2-3 minutes at a time? That is the time and draw the winch estimates for a 1,000lb pull. Will we need to bring a gas generator and 100amp 12v power supply?

A big deep cycle battery largely solves this problem for you.

Metals4U (a few miles south of DMS) was able to deliver the metal next day, so I went ahead and cut and started assembling the uprights. The rest of the parts should be in before sunday.

Now the mini trebuchet has a sibling

3 Likes

… and an inferiority complex.

3 Likes

Does it have a name?

We still need a name/theme (not for any specific reason, but just because) and will paint it eventually, anyone want to come up with one?

Ok, don’t kill me just some b’stormin’ and stealing from the 'nets:

Annihilator
Bad Neighbor
Buzz Bomb
Booger Flicker
Cinder Block Killer
Comic Sans
Cyber Butcher
Devastator
DMS Revenge
Dominator
Doorbuster
The Downtown Slayer
Honey Badger
I Hardly Threw ‘er
Going to a Wedding
My Little Friend
No Knock Warrant
Over The Top
The RATapult
Rowan the Rockthrower
Sans Serif (Bad font joke)
The Scarlet Slinger
Sir Toss A-Lot
Sir Flings A-Lot
Skorpion
Slapchopper
Stones Throw Away
Steel Magnolia
Throwin’ Chunks
WarWolf
Watch This
Xalvador

Okk, okkk I will quit.

1 Like

What? You missed MakerPult !

1 Like

Going for the historical reference…

And:

Backhanded Compliments
Down To Flick
Game of Throws
(The) Fat and the Furious
Slam Dumps

Going Darker:
FairyMotherChuckers
We Fling Both Ways
7 dudes, one cup

Are you guys dressing to theme? I would hope so (tutus are $12 on amazon this I know many times over)

My suggestions would lean something towards a viking theme just because you could knock the aesthetics out of the park - and vikings are cuties.
Or
Drag queens inspired by super heros or somewhat obscure cultural references
Or
Pirates - pirates are always easy

Good names!

1 Like

DallasMakerChuckers?

(maker)SPACE EXPLORERS ?

these shirts are cheap on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Star-Command-Uniform-S-Adult--Gold-Lg/dp/B0034WDC24/ref=sr_1_1?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1474477079&sr=1-1&nodeID=7141123011&keywords=STAR+TREK+SHIRT