Trebuchet SIG 2016 Build (season over)

It now has Lampy Legs

And is still easily portable

9 Likes

There wont be any build days this weekend, but I will be working on finishing the trebuchet Monday 17th - Wednesday 19th noon - 8pm if anyone would like to assist, with the goal of test firing on Wednesday, still left to do include:

Use bandfile sander to sand down welds under rubber axle stop
Attach rubber with bolt

Use flap wheel to clean up weld beads on outside face of uprights

Use flap wheel to grind down any sharp corners on base

Attach rubber treads to bottom of feet

Use delrin, 6" steel circles, piece of 2.5" pipe, and hose clamp to create collars to help locate steel axle left and right while it falls

Mock up winch location
Weld in winch support
Test winch pulley mount, being sure force vector is not outside edges of feet
Design way to get pulley mount down remotely without it just freefalling

Attach springs and stops to upper trigger assemblies
Grind top of upright flats
Mock up trigger assemblies at top of machine
Transfer 1/2 and 1/4 holes to angle iron and drill
Mount and route shifter cable to actuate trigger mechanism
Design remote trigger assembly with spring that provides force to fire trigger

Attach D rings to test sling
Measure distance from arm to base to get max sling + wire length
Trough for projectile
Cut wire to length, leaving extra to allow adjusting
Connect wire to sling and release circles

That looks even more imposing, sort of like a spider holding its legs in the air

Do you want me to order some of those heavier-duty D-rings I posted about the other day?

Pearce donated some heavier d rings which are in the box on small trebuchet

1 Like

That was smart, just realized I welded it together with bolt in wrong way, will have to cut bolts and buy more so that legs are removable

1 Like

You might be able to get away with a relief hole in the beam so as to back the bolt through it

Got the winch mounted, so now when the temporary lift pulley is in place can winch the arm up, haven’t load tested it yet. Will probably be at DMS later in the day tomorrow to start on mounting trigger.

Got supplies to start painting, in the doocracy tradition @SewingStuff volunteered to do the painting, so she picked the color, it will definitely stand out. (The white is just the primer in this pic, have to do a lot of cleaning before starting on the legs)

1 Like

Yeah, my plan is to spend basically most of my life cleaning the oil off of all of the legs.

This is basically like cleaning adorable ducks from an oil spill except they’re pointy and not as cute and way heavier. I guess it’s good that they’re more cooperative.

For all of those wondering, the color is “It’s a girl” pink.

1 Like

Won’t that clash with our green shirts?

Nope. It will be like a big flower. You guys are the leaves, and the trebuchet is the flower.

For the pulley arch I tried using the gojo wipes (on auto shelf) as a first cleaner, which worked good for degreasing, then a rag with soapy water. That was less annoying than spraying degreaser or simple green everywhere.

That’s smart. I was dying trying to do it with just soap and water and the wire brushes.

That will make my next attempts way easier. I’m super excited that you’re giving me the opportunity to help!

Ok we need to get back to naming her, keep in mind the pink.

The Pink Plague
Something Hello Kitty related

Deathtöngue :horns2: :horns: :metal: (aw! Seriously? No horns emoji?) (Thank you @LisaSelk)
(for those not yet indoctrinated)

2 Likes

Iron goddess

I sent “Pegasus” as the name as they needed to have it for flyers etc. It may not be too late to change it if we can agree on something soon (like today possibly)

That works with our pink theme!

And we can call her “Peggy” like some of the other pegasi 

1 Like