Travel Advice? (tell me where I should go)

I’ve never been to Iceland, but Wow Airlines makes that very tempting. However, I have seen the Aurora Borealis, above the arctic circle in Norway. I highly recommend that experience.

On the other hand, I’ve also enjoyed the Denver experience.

1 Like

I priced you out a trip to Iceland for $260 R/T Leaving October 6-17th. I would recommend skipping a hotel and getting a live aboard van. Iceland has campgrounds all over the place that makes the van viable.

4 Likes

Colorado is as boring as Connecticut or any of the fly overstates, the only thing going for it is the backcountry and scenic mountains. If that and reverse snobbery from trust fund hippies is your thing the go for it. Otherwise I’d say go have some real fun.

But also, if one is really worried about finances… go invest it into some dividends, etfs, or something that has a good return and is market stable.

(btw, nothing says one couldn’t do both invest and travel :wink: )

This is a thing?!
I was considering staying in a hostel to save money. Vanning around sounds cool! (Just googled to find they drive on the right side!)

The quote you have listed is pretty much what I was looking at. They don’t include a carry-on, so that’s another hundred bucks, and I don’t have any camping equipment either.

4 Likes

I have to say I disagree with this statement. I’m from CT, and it is only as boring as you make it out to be. Colorado has a ton going on, especially if you wait until 4:20. And you have snobbery no matter where you go.

2 Likes

Disagree.

Actually it is!

My bank account, rent, car payment, insurance and phone bill say otherwise! (this is the main reason I want to go back to school)
I’ll consider investing when my crypto portfolio recovers :stuck_out_tongue:

Don’t worry about any camping equipment the vans are fully equipped and driving is not very different than the US.

Here is some approx pricing. If you can find a partner in crime to go with you that is where you are going to get the most value. Notably it’s a tight fit.

https://www.kukucampers.is/booking

2 Likes

Just looked at the clock and realized it is just after 4:20.

It appears that crypto’s only direction is :chart_with_downwards_trend:

Oh wow, those prices are super do-able. This is an exciting possibility…

Can I say hell and you take it as payback for all the puns? Cus I really want to say hell…

lol…that’s about like saying “Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?”

Exactly right, as it is for everywhere/everything else.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t worry about language issues. Most non native English Europeans are still quite versatile in English and while you may find a few people that refuse most will know you’re American and that you don’t speak any other languages, lol. I took a trip to France, Belgium, and Denmark and had no issues getting around or finding English speakers.

1 Like

We went to Iceland in August. I would say that the reason why flights are so reasonable is because… once you’re there… it’s VERY expensive. (Gas was $8.50 a LITER and crappy food would run you at least 30$ a person)

If money is of a concern, I would wait to do Iceland.

1 Like

@Nagyk that’s what they told me about Bangkok! Boy was I surprised!

@Mollymcda That has been at the front of my mind. I’m thinking that next year when I’ve done more research and had longer to plan a proper itinerary would be more practical.

I’m just now finding out about these magical Icelandic tour vans and driving on the right side of the road, so I should probably just start planning for 2019. Maybe put a bug in a few friends ears about a waterfall camping tour.

but yikes, at $34 a gallon for gas that van becomes really pricy.

I am not sure where the 8.50 a liter is coming from?

Fuel prices in Iceland are around $2 a liter and 7.57 a gallon possibly @Mollymcda has the measurements confused?

ahh, ok that is mildly more manageable. Thanks for clarifying.

It’s cheaper here in U.S., so just bring enough with you in your carry-on?

6 Likes

@Robert_Davidson, it’s what we paid near Reykjavik for the two days. So I’m not sure.

Ouch! That is some car rental agency prices right there!