Trauma Kit at DMS? - just want to know not in immediate need

I’m just wondering if we have something like this
https://www.narescue.com/audio-bleeding-control-kits
https://www.narescue.com/military-products/massive-hemorrhage/combat-gauze-z-fold-hemostatic

@matthshooter knows a guy who’s a dealer and I think we should hear him out about putting “shit hit the fan” kits by all the big machines.

Link to the thread I remember talking about this

2 Likes

I had a discussion about this with Allen a few years back because I was wanting to get some kits like this for the space at the time. His point of view was that kits like this could do more harm than good and I think he’s right. It would likely delay a 911 call when time is critical. If someone gets hurt and there’s even a slight indication that it’s serious then call 911 without delay. We’re a few blocks from emergency services. Last time I called 911 they were there almost immediately.

3 Likes

The trauma kit is under the first aid kit in the workshop. Red bag.

5 Likes

not to mention you can cause more harm than good if you do not know what you are doing. Tourniquets, quick clot, defibrillators all have a greater potential of causing a loss of limb or death if used improperly.

Might I suggest reaching out to Carrollton EMS for an onsite class or two, I feel that will be more beneficial and they are generally more than happy to do it for free.

I really do want to get a “stop the bleed” class going - it’s a program sponsored by the DHS to teach the use of tourniquets.

I am not a qualified medical anything, but I have slapped a tq and stuffed wounds with quickclot before, it’s not terribly difficult. My first response to massive hemorrhaging on an extremity is apply a tourniquet and then call 911 if I’m the only person around. Someone bleeding out from arterial bleeding doesn’t take but a minute or two.

I’ll have to check the trauma kit we have in the galley.

This might be nice for those that are at the space most often. Some EMS services also have classes on AEDs like the one in the galley.

Even if we don’t here DHS hosts them in the area (I want to say that CERT hosts some of them, but don’t quote me on that)

-Jim

Nicole’s suggestion was to hear this guy out. Calling 911 AND taking action are mutually exclusive. No doubt improper action can cause harm, but it doesn’t follow that ALL action causes harm. Why not hear the guy out? I’m interested Nicole, so if this proceeds, please let me know.

The trauma kit is in the workshop, near between laser and the woodshop annex, mounted on the column under the first aid kit in the workshop. The galley does not have a trauma kit and the contents of the galley first aid kit are more specific to general wounds, while the workshop first aid kit is more specific to cuts, splinters, burns and massive bleeding.

3 Likes

To elaborate on what @LukeStrickland says …

Map of safety equipment

4 Likes

To further expand please don’t open the Trauma Bag it has been sealed with quick release one use locks similar to what is on a fire extinguisher. It is not a bag to pull one off supplies out of.

Quickclot and Wound seal are also in trauma bag as well as the first aid stations.

I will echo DMS is almost never empty if there is ever an emergency don’t think just call or have someone call 911 immediately. If someone is knowledgeable to provide medical care that is why the supplies are there.

Notably if you are reading this and you feel someone needs to use the AED even if you are not trained please pull it out it will start a video on how to apply the pads and will train you in realtime to apply the pads everything else is automatic.

A6FF5704-D2A8-49FA-B999-6BB76967D79A

7 Likes