Training Request: Stained Glass Process

I was wondering if someone could help walk me through and train me on the equipment available in glassworks to do stained glass art. I have an idea of how the process works (cut, grind, line with copper, solder) but haven’t tried it myself.

My schedule is pretty wide open and I’m happy to pay you for the time.

hello there. we have a glassworks meeting coming up on Wednesday if you would like to join for some impromptu training. I’m going to have some classes scheduled soon too.

the stained glass stuff isn’t training required anymore. I highly encourage you to watch a bunch of YouTube videos on it before diving in.

we will be discussing consumables costs at the meeting as well.

just remember with the saws they need to be wet, and don’t force the glass against them, it’s a grinder not a blade.

6 Likes
  1. I will do what I can to be there on Wednesday for the Glassworks meeting
  2. While I do not teach classes, I have some basic exposure to stained glass from doing it at home during this lovely pandemic. I know where some things are in the Glassworks area, but because I haven’t really been at DMS much I can’t speak on behalf of all the equipment available (if I can make the Wednesday meeting maybe I can finish determining what is available). I will gladly assist in showing basics of stained glass if you’d like - but I wish to note I’m still significantly practicing my soldering skills. No payment needed but if you’re willing to learn from someone who’s still trying to hone down the skill herself, feel free to PM/DM me and I’ll check my schedule with yours.
2 Likes

Thank you! I signed up for the hot process safety class so I’m not able to make the meeting today.

If there’s one in the future, hopefully I can attend!

1 Like

I will at DMS tomorrow after work (approx 5:30-5:45). I can walk through part of the process with you (cutting pieces) if you’d like as I’m doing a test to go “slow” so I can gauge timing for future classes.

1 Like

That would be fantastic! Do you need me to bring anything?

Shouldn’t need to bring anything - I have scrap glass at home I intend to cut on so we’ll just use that. It will likely be another day before I can go through the motions of showing you the rest of the process or per the meeting yesterday, sounds like some classes could pop up this month.

1 Like

Stained glass and hand tools have never been training required since it’s so easy to pick up, and there are lots of videos.
@thefinal can clear you on the bandsaws,grinders and drill press, sander. We need to make sure you know how to make adjustments, not cut your fingers off, and clean the equipment after you use it.

Please only use the sink in the warehouse, as the sink by GlassWorks does not have a filter.

Happy Making!

1 Like

the grinders are also not training required. have at it

1 Like