Training Question

I was checking out what was available in creative arts the other day and noticed most tools said training was necessary to use. I totally understand wanting people properly trained, but if you already know how to use a tool can you go ahead and use it?

For example, I have been sewing for well over 12 years and while I don’t have your exact brand of sewing machine, I feel very confident that I could use it without causing any problems. I have the exact serger you have at the space and have been using it for well over 10 years and once again feel confident that I could use it properly without training.

Do I need to get checked off on trainings? Is there a list of tools people are trained on or is it user discretion? Sorry for all the newbie questions, just trying to figure things out.

3 Likes

Those are great questions and never hesitate to ask please!

Anything that is labeled as Training Required does require you to get signed off on that piece of equipment via a Training Class, however @Kriskat30 has done many one - one training sessions, and sign offs for those that can show they know how to use the sewing machines specifically. I’m sure one of these ladies can help you out if you can’t get into a regular training class quickly.

Paging @Kriskat30 @kyrithia @John_Marlow

Ladies, I hope I’m not overstepping here, just trying to get a new member sorted out!

3 Likes

On the sewing machines, especially if you are already well familiar, I’d just talk to @Kriskat30 or @dryad2b (Beth) who are both at the space a lot. I am not sure what would be involved but pretty sure if you already know the machine it’s more a matter of the verifying that and also imparting any DMS specific quirks/rules.

Both are at the space A LOT and will do one-on-one

Kinda like woodshop, where you might be a competent woodworker, but required training is also making sure you know things specific to the environment and any thing that is a request or rule that helps preserve equipment in a communal space.

I can speak to fiberarts if that’s an interest, since we have three things that are kinda training required. Total newbie, I show you how to use. You already know, it’s a few minutes of how we use in the space, do/don’t please, etc, and that’s it. Best time for that is any Fiberfrolic (several tuesdays a month) or another time if you coordinate with me

2 Likes

Next time you are at the space I’ll clear you on the sewing machines. I do this for anyone who is experienced with sewing machines. I’m just 5 minutes from the space so it’s not a problem.

5 Likes

On a related note I don’t think ive seen any classes for sewing. Believe it or not im somewhat interested in clothing manufacture/alteration. If one is put up and anyones worried about filling seats just lmk :D!

1 Like

Ooooo! Both of my machines are Janome/New Home. I’ve been using Janome for over a quarter of a century. I would love to get certified on them. My two sergers are a different brand so I did the class for those. My embroidery machines are different brands also. Some day I’ll finish all the health issues and I’ll see what I have to do to help teach. :slight_smile:

3 Likes