Training for new laser

I apologize if this is putting the cart before the horse or has been answered elsewhere -

When we get the new laser, will additional training be required before use? I’ve been looking up the new equipment and it looks fascinating - but was just curious if it was so different that a new class will be needed.

2 Likes

I would certainly hope so.

Short answer: Yes.
Long answer: Yeeeeeesssss.

Helpful answer: It’s different enough we’ll need a new class, but we’ve been working with Doug and plan on making it an online supplement to the existing 101/102. We’re going to stage the rollout, initially it’ll be available to our teachers/maintainers while we get a feel for it, then we’ll open it for people who are Zing certified w/ the supplement, and eventually we would like to open it to everyone who’s taken 101+supplement. The timeline is dependent on how well the laser behaves in our environment, but hopefully no more than a month to full access.

9 Likes

Thank you - this is incredibly helpful!

1 Like

If you’re super excited, check out the manual on Epilog’s website. We intended it to be a greatest hits mashup of both the Zing and the Thunders.

3 Likes

With my experience in Epilog Helix lasers, I would be happy to assist in any way to help learn once it is set up. I know how to print direct from CorelDRAW. I know how to maintain the machines; I have changed axis motors, replaced mirrors, adjusted mirrors, and more. I am familiar with the Epilog machine functions and can help in re-aligning the home point when/if it gets misaligned.

5 Likes

I spoke with the Epilog rep at the D2P show. As expected the driver for the laser is in fact a printer driver like what is used with the Zing. He says it should be totally transparent and if you’re running a zing it should be zero new effort to run it. The things that are different are things like the preview which are on the controller side.

Incidentally, the fusion machine can be upgraded for fiber laser in the future, BUT it is not an upgrade they do in the field. cheers!

1 Like

Good to hear. I was given a solid ‘maybe’ by the local distributor. It’s a new machine so they’re still improving software and working out upgrades.

Since this is a common misconception I’ve run across, the fiber laser option for the fusion is about 100x less powerful than what’s used to cut metals commercially. It’s only intended to engrave, and will not cut metal.

1 Like

ditto. I should have pointed that out. it is intended to do metal marking. Which in real world terms would eliminate the need to use cermark.

1 Like

Hi everyone! I regularly use a Helix, Fusion, and Zing. The print driver for all of them is essentially the same, so anyone who has used the Zing will find the Fusion to be familiar. In terms of procedure, the focus is different, and the manual keypad on the Fusion will have more options and updates, too. The Fusion is a great machine!

edit: Also, like @mopella, I’m ready to help and have lots of examples of work done on Epilogs that i can bring to the space, too.

2 Likes