Training Development SIG

I’ve been scouring the wiki trying to learn as much as I can about training at DMS and I noticed this SIG.

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Training_Development_SIG/

I searched talk and didn’t see any activity this year.
Is anyone actively working on this topic?
If not should I post a day on the calendar?

Training is a topic that I have a lot of opinions and ideas about. Would love to get together with other members to help carve out a path for folks to get trained, as well as authorized to train other people.

I’d like to meet on Sunday afternoon, which is the time that the PR committee agreed would be a great time for additional tours.

Are there any SMEs (subject matter experts) or committee chairs willing to help me develop training?

2 Likes

I’m not on any committee’s but I’d like to help out here. IF we decide to expand this would be key to the survival of DMS.

2 Likes

Paging Nancee @designcat

Edit: Paging @Team_TrainDev

1 Like

Most of 2017’s activities were more intra-sig, and handled by group message. Joining the group on Talk would get you those when they’re sent out, but like all committees, we always need new blood, er, invigoration. Nancee helped a couple of folks get off the ground with Moodle activity, and as the lead expert on training, best to rope into a discussion. As for Sunday evenings… There’s likely a reason nothing’s doing then (good Baptists are in church; others are girding their loins for the upcoming week’s battle; mostly we’re trying to finish up all the partying we didn’t get done, etc.)…

Was not aware of this function until today. Thanks, just requested to join the group.

I said afternoons. I The reason I mentioned Sunday afternoon is because that’s the time that the PR committee said would be BEST for the church-going crowd. Honestly have no idea what portion of people are in church for how long on Sundays. Apparently some people go to church on Wednesdays too?

Looks like you’re in the group. Has there been any activity in 2018?

Are there any current action items?

I would like to help. There has been some work done on new member training. Would need to find all that info.

1 Like

I am willing to help out. If you want help with Moodle let me know. Have you looked at https://learn.dallasmakerspace.org?

Yeah, I checked it out recently and everything that I wanted to look at said

"You can not enrol yourself in this course." above a CONTINUE button.

Maybe I’m doing something wrong?

So I gather that Moodle is an online teaching tool but I haven’t seen anyone post a moodle link. What’s the 411 on Moodle in regards to DMS?

Many people of different cults observe many sacred gathering times. I didn’t mean to tread on the PR committee’s sacred ground by conflating “afternoon” with “evening”. 1,000 apologies. To make up for it, I’ll insert my standard mantra when advising someone to choose a date/time for their project: just pick what’s best for you, and see how it works out; adjust as necessary. So if Sunday between 12:01 and 23:59 is your chosen window, go for it. Some will attend. Some will not. Some will make excuses for their attending, or not attending. Some will make complimentary excuses. Some will not. Just do your thing.

I am nominally in the group, but have had virtually zero time to be helpful.

Not that I can think of, but, see above about my ability to be immersed. I defer to Nancee to know the most recent movings and shakings.

I’ll defer to Nancee, again. The usual action items are, of course, de facto: help folks get classes up and running; help folks get things prepped for Moodle if applicable (we REALLY want to do this, but it’s not as easy as folks tend to think to bring together all the players in that arena).
So, I’m sure you’ll be welcomed with open arms and encouraged to have a meeting any time you’d like and any classes you can get moving will be wonderful. Thank you for making the effort. I hope I can participate in some facet of the expanded push for training development.

1 Like

Sorry for coming off as hostile or too critical or whatever. I had more than my standard allotment of caffeine on a slow day at work and your reply felt dismissive.

So I take it Sunday is no good for you? :stuck_out_tongue:

Obviously no time is perfect for everyone, just throwing it out there since hopefully if we’re adding tours there will be people on hand to talk about it, similar to how Steve has been scheduling PR meetings before tour nights.

1 Like

Nope. That’s how it all is presently, I think. Except 3d printing. Try that course, if you haven’t. Just for the experience. I think it’s the only one available for self-enrolment (yep, complete with the misspelling that Moodle insists is “the right way”).

Like jast said, only 3d printing is currently available. The other courses are being worked on by others but I am sure they could use some help. If there is a subject you wish to add please let me know and we can get you set up.

the 411 I would say is that there is no consensus. As each committee has their own way of doing things. Some committees dont want to do it because they will lose funding, but it also makes it hard for new people to gain access to tools.

I will try to be at the space on Sunday but it probably wont be till 6 or 7.

I’d love to see Moodle somehow count successful completions. For each unique student certified in a specific class, I’d grant that committee $5 of honorarium.

Just my one cent worth …

6 Likes

I think I’m starting to get the picture…

learn.dallasmakerspace.org is powered by Moodle?
And all of the classes that look available are actually works in progress?

I’m going through the 3D printing course to get a feel for it.

2 Likes

Thanks much (blushing). I’d like to get that class on Moodle … the handout I wrote is extensive (with pictures) and would probably be a good start. Most of the material wouldn’t need video.

Somehow I (a) haven’t found the time and (b) haven’t learned anything about authoring in Moodle …

FWIW, for other folks - I just started doing an oral quiz. I identified the few crucial points, typed up a simple question for each, and everyone in the class read one question out loud and answered it. Five questions, usually four participants - I can answer the fifth one as needed. :slight_smile: I like this practice and will repeat it.

1 Like

I looked into that as it’s not something that is inherently in Moodle. I got quotes from 3 sites and the quotes varied from $900 to $5k for the work requested. I have followed up due to other obligations. If anyone else wants to take this over I can “pass the torch”.

Correct. Some classes that were being built have stalled as people’s lives get busy. If there is a subject anyone wants to do I can put you in touch with who started it and hopefully you can finish it.

I was redoing the CNC class so most of the classroom part would be online but I have not been able to finish it. I talked to Kee and Chris G about it a while back to allow for the vcarve or fusion “path” and needed to restructure it a bit.

Where’s the code hosted? I’d like to have a look.

It sounds quick and easy, so I fear I’ve misunderstood. We just want to log successful course completions?

1 Like

Source: https://git.moodle.org/gw?p=moodle.git;a=summary

Plugin Documentation: https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Plugin_types

We host it on one of our AWS instances

2 Likes

I’ve done a lot of presentation development over the years at work - Official curriculum for certification training, beta software release training, new release update training, and much more. I’ve presented to groups as small as 3 and as large as 380.

I posted some template slide decks on the wiki server that are designed to help n00bs organize their thoughts in a productive way to create effective material.

Put me down for this SIG.

4 Likes

Ok I wrote a script to read successful course completions from moodle and act on them. Can anyone get me a copy of the sql database from our live moodle server to test it on, or is that a server I can access?

3 Likes