Train the trainers, HAAS CLASS I (CAM)

I have submitted the first of the two train the trainers classes for the HAAS for next Tuesday evening, starting at 8pm. The event link below should be live in 48 hours (about 11am Thursday).

For this first class, you do not have to be on the HAAS certifiied list to teach the class, since this class is only for the CAM aspects of how to create the g-code for the domino using Fusion 360. If you feel comfortable teaching, this is a class for you.

Note, that I have set the event so that I have the ability to approve anyone for the class. This session is intended ONLY for those who are willing to TEACH the CAM HAAS class. We will be covering the material that will be available for the teachers, and discuss the how and why. This will included my taking suggestions to changes to improve the material. The idea is that after the class is complete, any one who attends will be able to host classes teaching how to CAM a domino using fusion 360 to create g-code for creating the domino on the HAAS.

After the students complete this class, they would still need to attend a second class where they are taught on how to use the controls on the HAAS to execute that g-code. A teach the teachers for that class is still in development and should be on the calendar shortly.

@rjohnsoniv
@Photomancer

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/1881

5 Likes

I’ll be there. Thank you again for all the work you’ve done.

1 Like

Very interested in this. Thanks!

@snaps

Since I don’t know you and you are a new member, please send me an IM with some background and why you want to learn to TEACH this stuff at DMS.

1 Like

Do you have an estimate of how long this class will take to teach?

I’m kinda teetering. More trainers are certainly better. I’d like to help fill what gaps I can. What’s the cap on the class?

@zmetzing
I am guessing it will take between 2-3 hours. But at this point that is just a guess.

@TBJK
I have 10 positions for the class, and frankly will be amazed if I accept that many people. Folks like you who actually have taught classes are much more likely to be accepted then folks who haven’t.

In an effort to clear up any future questions.

It’s important to note that the expectation is that any teacher if this class should already have unsupervised access to the HAAS. Not trying to turn away assistance here at all, however.

If you would like to teach the class and you have not gotten this access please consider getting this first and then we can look at getting you certified to teach.

Unsupervised access to the HAAS isn’t needed for this first class, which is just training to do the CAM work… I agree completely on the second class (using the HAAS), but I think we would want to maximize the potential teachers for the first of the two classes.

There are only about 24 people who have unsupervised access, and few of them actually teach any classes…

Count me in. I’m good for classroom portions at least for now,

@rjohnsoniv When can those of us that aren’t certified on these machines expect a class to be scheduled to do so? Or is this on an individual basis? I have previous experience with CNC programming and machining but would like to know more about the specifics of DMS’s machines. If there’s one thing I’ve learned in my relatively brief time with CNC machining is that two of the same machines in different shops rarely behave the same way… (ask me how I know)

See the last paragraph of my original post

I am interested in this. I have prior teaching experience at the college and junior college levels ( back in the dark ages… ). I have taken the HAAS class, but never did the domino. Getting caught up and gaining some proficiency is on my to-do list.

Not sure if this is the right time to take this class or not. I would like to take the refresher course Walter posted about in another thread too. On the first pass I found the CAD/CAM parts much easier to grasp than the machine part of the course. I think the simulator being integrated into the training would be a big plus. When I took the class, the parts at the machine I could not see from the back. Working a webcam and a projector into the training might be worth looking into to help students see the operator panel.

The two course will be covering the same material, this one will focus less on ‘teaching’ and more on collaboration on the class material.

1 Like

Please count me in. I’m already using a HAAS in the real world but am not authorized for unsupervised access here since we lost the license before I got that far. I do my work in Inventor and MasterCam so I’m gonna have to learn the CAM portion anyway and will be happy to help teaching in any capacity after that.

1 Like

Okay, apparently the powers that be have exercised their mojo and made this event/class active on the calendar already. If your interested, please sign up. I will approve or send you an email asking for more information.

1 Like

@zmetzing is it possible to transfer from the Tuesday Plasma class to the Thursday Plasma class so I can attend this class on Tuesday? Or will the Plamsa class actually run that late?

Could not make the class… got stuck working… :frowning:
How was the class?

@wandrson I will get with you personally… I’ve seen the course material already.

I think it went well. there were 7 of us all interested in helping out. the discussion after the class was just as interesting. I think we all see a need for some basic CAD (fusion360, inventor, solidworks) specific classes beyond the domino class as they have farther use in 3d printing, wood CNC and the haas.
I think we’ll probably all want to sit in in Walter’s first class before we get turned loose. cheers!

4 Likes

Seems there is a LOT of push for a CAD class… I would say that all parties interested in such should be on the every Friday webex from autodesk, and I would highly recommend that all parties be connected to NYC CNC. I don’t honestly think I know who the best person would be to teach a CAD class… I do a LOT of CAD work, but it’s not my job. Likewise, which of those three would we teach??

Webinar - https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/7163011869704584449

I guess if the class was generic and could be applied to all three of those installations that would work… but again - Who has that skill set. :slight_smile: Bleuler, Bleuler, Bleuler…