Tool Training Matrix

you should be able to “Make a copy” and then send admin that copy or export it as a Excel sheet and send that. Ill take it in any format and work with it from there. Thanks for taking the time to do it.

I believe the only type it should require is a brief read through, I think the option of a class isn’t a bad idea, just shouldn’t be required. I feel have a brief read through on moodle, Then a little test, no need for the videos

1 Like

@clk75201

The reason for suggesting grabbing a particular person to get okayed for training…some equipment doesn’t have high enough numbers of people needing to learn it at one time to be practical to schedule a dedicated class, or maybe they’re fairly infrequent, or the main trainer has a currently challenging life schedule unless arrangements are made…so rather than making you wait a long time before being able to get trained on equipment so you can use it, some folks are willing to coordinate with a you to do a one-on-one (or create a class if there’s a flurry of interest) so you can be okayed to use it instead of a long delay.

Everyone is still volunteering their time, but any time I’ve wanted to be okayed on something where there wasn’t a training class scheduled, folks have been super helpful and someone has made the time to get me going fairly quickly. Same goes with help on projects. Get to know folks and ask around. Be patient.

Training protects you and protects our equipment. It can feel like an annoying delay if you feel comfortable with it already, but even on standard equipment, there can be quirks or setups or usages particular to our environment that keep things safe, in good working order, and left in a state that is ready for use and respectful to those using it next.

The other challenge is everyone has a different perspective of “already knowing what they’re doing”, but training levels the field so that there is confirmation of no missing information or irregular usage that can present hazards to self or equipment.

Back to the one you mentioned with sewing…in CA in particular, the structure is we have a decent number of SIGs (special interest groups) that cover various media. We have a go-to person that facilitates that particular SIG, and that person/s usually is the person to approach for training if there’s not a class scheduled.

Like sewing, there’s been a recent flurry of beginner sewing classes a couple months ago, bunch of folks run through, several teachers had classes, so until there’s another clump of interest, it might not be enough to schedule a class yet, but instead of a long wait, the interim solution for the random person is to connect with Kris since she is the sewing SIG coordinator, and if she can’t train, she can tell you who can (we have a couple of other teachers that likely could, one is at the space a lot so coordination wouldn’t be hard). Kris gets busy with her business and everyone has a life, so if you haven’t connected with her soon/yet (have you?) we can help further.

Same thing goes with fibers, leather, etc. I do fibers, we have things requiring training. I did enough classes last year with folks, everyone right now is pretty covered, but for a new person, they just contact me and we coordinate. No biggie. Leather, it’s Bitta that does it. Other equipment, there’s other folks. If you look on the bulletin board coming in the CA room, there’s a list with who does what. Or just ask around.

Other departments, how things works varies. I’ve found when I’m trying to suss out who to ask for help or training in a new to me area, I either ask folks working in that area, post here on talk, or go to the wiki and find the Chair listed and contact them.

1 Like

Thanks for asking. Yes, Kris gave me the go ahead on the sewing machine.

1 Like

I wanted to just bump this again. I plan on closing it and reviewing it soon with what we have received so far and going of that. Please take a moment and fill one out if you haven’t already.

Thank you,

1 Like

I apologize Alex, I really did intend to fill that out. Mea Culpa.

Emailed.

1 Like

Same here (as Tap) - just emailed copy…

1 Like

Oh crud. I forgot to respond. I realized it would take a few minutes and require some thought. I meant to come back to it when I had more time. Sorry about that.

Do you still want responses? Emailed? To admin?

Yes please. 23456678999008