Tool Training Matrix

I put it on the Facebook page and I think I’m the one respondant they speak of. I will try again.

1 Like

Alex thanked me the other day for being the one person who filled it out (Shapeoko). Looks like maybe there’s two of us! Whoo-hoo! :laughing:

2 Likes

Well, I looked, and I’m not sure how to answer for the kilns. First off, we’ve locked the suckers. Then, I’m not sure precisely how they might injure someone with common sense. Granted, if you think you can use the pottery kiln to temper metal, you might burn yourself trying to get the metal out. I don’t think you can damage them, per se. We primarily lock them to keep out the metal guys and to force a full kiln for each firing.

Pretend that they are not locked up and the person has absolutely no clue… ???

(just a thought…) :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just saw this for the first time 10:03pm central 20 Feb.

Mañana. :wink:

A new YouTube channel springs to mind!

“Can we Kiln it?”

:imp:

1 Like

I am absolutely delighted by the board considering this approach. I’ve been a maker for years. I’m trained by parents who were really talented makers. I won’t BS you if I’m not comfortable with a tool, but I’m pretty comfortable with stuff that won’t seem logical.

Soon. I’ll get it back to you soon.

Also, I’m going to figure out how to send it to my brother who joined after I did but doesn’t hang on TALK. And there lies your problem…

Just send him the link that Alex provided (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1e0bxLQr1sO5UhrF2wy3QJMudUnoy7Q2qcTd_JibiLr4/edit?usp=sharing) and/or send him a link to the thread. There is no requirement to log into TALK to access the public posts on TALK. :slight_smile:

Something along the lines of “Effective April 1, all tools will be no training required unless we receive rationale otherwise.” Yeah, that ought to flush them out…

1 Like

Wait. Did I misunderstand this? I thought as a user I could proclaim my proficiency, but maybe you are asking for departments to suggest need for training.

Lost. I am so lost. On the other hand, I may not have to fill out a matrix.

(I like my way better. If that’s not the case, please consider loosening training up a bit. I can’t make if I constantly have to sit through trainings.)

Any individual is encouraged to submit a response that includes all tools with which he/she is familiar - don’t even need to be proficient, just knowledgeable.

We’re also encouraging committee responses, especially since we don’t have a lot of individual responses.

1 Like

Ok. Back to tomorrow, then. :wink:

1 Like

I will save it to a PDF tomorrow then modify to send it your way.

3 Likes

That’s not what this form is for. Additionally, for “Training Required” tools, we do not accept “I’ve been doing it forever”, “I have one at home/business”, etc… because a big part of the required training has to do with learning the rules and expectations of using the tools specific to our tools at Dallas Makerspace.

We are asking members who know our tools well to complete the form only for the tools of ours that they know very well. We encourage anyone with in depth knowledge / familiarity with any of our tools to complete the form for tools they have the in depth knowledge / familiarity with. The information will be reviewed to help determine what level of training each tool really needs - to help make the training requirements at the 'Space more consistent across the board.

If you have used any particular tool at Dallas Makerspace enough to know the ins/outs and whatever “gotchas” the tool that we have at the Space may have, then please complete the form for that/those tools. Otherwise, there is no need to complete it. This is very specific to the actual tools on site at the 'Space - as there may be special configurations / “tweaks” to the tools that similar tools in another setting may not have. :wink:

The results of the form will help determine the level of training for all tools listed on the form.

There are a LOT of things that can be done until you have time to attend training on the tools that require training. There are also a LOT of trainings that need to be done. Let us know when you are ready to start training on tools that you are very familiar with at the Space! That will help keep the backlog and waiting down for others! :dms: :smiley:

3 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to explain all that @LisaSelk.

I am still a little confused, though. I’ve seen people say things like “make sure I’ve been added to so and so list so I can register for a higher-level class,” but then I’ve also been told to grab one of two or three specific people and if you show you know your stuff, you can get clearance. (For me, on the sewing machine - I had mending I needed to do! - with @Kriskat30.)

So… I’ll just let this be one of the areas where time will tell. Doesn’t look like absolute clarity on training is in my future anytime soon. I suspect that’s what the board is working on. I’ll be patient.

1 Like

Currently there are no standards. Each committee decides how training should be managed for any tools that they decide require training. That worked well when we were smaller, had fewer tools, and members generally knew each other (and who to go to for help with various tools…). That’s no longer a good approach for us, so this is an effort to standardize things a little better. :wink: :slight_smile:

Edit to add:

This has been happening as a result of new automation with our calendar system… Some members were trained prior to the changes, but there is no way for the system to know that unless we manually add them. Fortunately, most trainers kept manual records of previous training sessions, so we get approval from the instructor as long as the member can remember who it was… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t have the time to fill out the tool matrix. But I believe laser should be yellow. With training as a recommended. I believe there’s enough people and resources at dms to be able to show someone how to use it. I believe a class should be optional.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reminder. Just sent it.

2 Likes

Exactly. For each tool answer it as if an untrained person walked up to the tool for the first time. It has power and someone can press buttons. Use the definitions tab to help you determine a number.

We want committees to get together but we also want people who don’t want to sit through a meeting to respond as well.

While you think it needs training, we want to know why? Are you comfortable with someone walking up to it never using it before and just pressing buttons?

Got it thanks!!

I did not get your responses. Please resend or let me know where it is located.

I have copied it and placed it in my google drive; however, it is still marked as read only and will not allow me to enter changes…