Tool Time with Tim Thursdays 6-8pm

Ok I’m going to try something similar to office hours, only its not in an office, hence the name.

If you have a project that you are trying to figure a way out to do it, come by Thursdays 6-8pm in Machine shop.

To be clear, this will not be equipment training. This is for those who may not know how to fixture or approach an issue in machining. Or just come hang out. Let solve some problems.

23 Likes

Will this be every thursdays?

I’ve been checked out on the lathes but I was unable to get any practice or do anything before I took off for a few months, so would this be the appropriate time to come in with a project or two and have a master, such as yourself over our shoulders so we can get a little practice?
Mainly to make sure we don’t break something expensive?

Oh hell yes!

1 Like

Thats the plan. I intend on making it a regular event every Thursday. I want to break that intimidation factor of the machines, to get people comfortable with it.

7 Likes

Fair enough.
There has been some things I’ve been wanting to do especially with the shark but I’ve been hesitant because of my lack of experience and at the same time I didn’t want to bother someone else in the middle of one of their projects just to look over my shoulder and make sure I wasn’t detrimentally f#@king something up.

I dig this new plan.

Reminder that I will be in Machine Shop at 6pm tonight.

4 Likes

Its THURSDAY… I’ll be here until 8ish.

4 Likes

Yet another Thursday.

Please keep your safety in mind, bring safety glasses and closed toed shoes.

I will be forced to turn you away if you come in with flip flops or beach sandals. It’s a two fold safety concern. The chips can be hot and they can be like razor blades between your toes.

4 Likes

Its almost machining time this Thursday. Look forward to seeing those who show

4 Likes

I just saw this thread. Put this on my calendar. I have a piece of round brass stock that I’d like to machine into a slip shaft as a replacement for a hose reel.

1 Like

Tool Time will reconvene on 12-8-22 due to Thanksgiving & On-Call schedule for the following week for me.

6 Likes

I wanted to remind everyone that there will not be a Tool Time tomorrow. I may be in the shop, but can not commit to be there. The following week will go back into the swing of things.

3 Likes

Its YAT…I will be at the space tonight for our regular scheduled Tool Time.

As a reminder, this is meant to help you with your projects, not for equipment sign-off. You are welcome to come hang out if you’d like. I will remind you as well that come dressed appropriately, IE NO SANDALS or OPEN TOED SHOES. This isn’t the beach, its a machine shop.

2 Likes

That’s not sand it’s aluminum shavings lol

2 Likes

Thank you all for coming. I’d say I was a little surprised to see 6-7 people show up.

Great discussions, collaboration of ideas and other shenanigans.

7 Likes

Just as an FYI, I will not be here this Thursday (6-22-23) for Tool Time. They will continue the following Thursday 6-29-23.

5 Likes

I will not be in tonight for Tool Time for those who may wonder. Intent is to continue next Thursday.

6 Likes

No tool time tonight, I’m still in Wichita Falls

3 Likes

Will there be a tool time this Thursday or next? Oct 5 or 12?
I would like to get checked out on the bridgeport mill, but haven’t seen any classes. I have taken the online classes with the MIT videos.

Tim’s tool time really isn’t to check people out on the machines. It’s designed like office hours for specific issues you might be having with machining projects. If you are already familiar with a mill, we can check you out tonight but if you have never used one before I suggest you take the class. I will post one for next week. Probably Wednesday or Thursday. I plan to start teaching more. I haven’t in a while because I have been working on other projects for DMS. Keep in mind that everyone who teaches at DMS is a volunteer. We aren’t paid employees. My suggestion to you is that if you want classes in certain areas, show up to the meetings and get involved and people will be willing to help you out. Maybe teach something you are good at? Currently machine shop has 2 teachers for the mills and lathes and 1 CNC teacher. We need more folks to step up.

4 Likes