Tool Request: Tubing Bender

I have a few summer projects coming soon and want to do some tube bending. Some projects that’ll require some accurate bending of up to 2" steel tubing. Car projects ranging from cages to off-road bumper projects. (obviously I own’t be building a safety cage anytime soon, but maybe one day). This video was very clear on how to operate and measure with this exact tubing bender, but the one at the space wasn’t as easy to figure out. Unless there’s a guru i can bother to show me?

I recently took the Welding Safety class & the MIG welding class and can’t wait to put it to use.

I was inspired by this very informational YT video and would like to propose to replace our current tubing bender with this unit.

Manual Version
http://www.trick-tools.com/Pro-Tools_MB-105HD_Heavy_Duty_Manual_Tubing_Bender_Deluxe_Kit_Deluxe105HD_5804

Hydraulic Version
http://www.trick-tools.com/Pro-Tools-MB-105HD-Heavy-Duty-Hydraulic-Tubing-Bender-Deluxe-Kit-Deluxe105HD-Hydraulic-8202

2 Likes

I’m not sure if you mean the hydraulic pipe bender, or the human-powered wheeled tubing bender. Regarding the hydraulic pipe bender, I have no knowledge other than virtually everyone seems to hate it.

I may be corrected, on this, but the wheeled one we have is “on loan”, I think. And only recently made functional (at all).

We’ve kicked around buying/building/acquiring another, but the demand/desire doesn’t really seem to exist. It seems more interest lies in trying to beef up the sheet metal forming capabilities in the metal shop (also a perfectly valid undertaking) than the pipe-forming capabilities.

I am not a huge fan of those in the style you’ve posted (as you can see in the other thread), but my opinion is probably worth less than you’ve paid…

I actually have a tubing bender, air-over Hydraulic. I built it loosely off from the got-trikes plans & uses the pro-tools 105 dies. I made it to build cages, rock sliders, stingers & as well as anything else I could make. I have the 1" pipe die, 1 1/2" tube & 2" tube dies. So far it hasn’t been too difficult to make stuff. I use no-dogs & several different angle finders. I would consider bringing it up for some projects if needed.

6 Likes

First you fix/replace the air dryer for the compressor and now you are helping with a tube bender, TBJK your on the right track. Really doing a great job and gives me hope in light of all the anger vitrol that seems to be flying around. I think more people should have your attitude.

3 Likes

The one we currently have is a tubing roller, which is nice to have. I have also some 1 1/2" ERW round tube in my shed that I can drag out & clean up if we should need some for practice. It is however rusty since it sat in my driveway for a good while before my city bitched about it, so it would need to be cleaned before use. I also have some 1" Sch 40 pipe as well in the same condition. The thing is to get your spring back figured out for the material so you know where to stop at. The material should be as clean as possible so the followers & die don’t get jacked up. When I would do DOM, I would clean it real well then use a light coat of oil while using there bender. I don’t use the bender as much since I shut down my business. I may end up using it to make bike frames & motorcycle frames if I ever get around to it.

I’m a maker, born that way & will die that way. I have been known to let friends borrow some of my tools for quite a time. I don’t mind sharing it as long as it doesn’t get destroyed. Not likely to happen since the main frame is made out of 2" 1/4" square tube & uprights of 5/8" 1018 cold rolled steel. If it ever gets to the point where the pivots wear out, I will machine it to accept sleeve bearings that can be replaced as they wear.

3 Likes

Cool video OP (@Paul_Mai) thanks for sharing it. I’ve never looked into using the tubing bender and videos like this make me consider it for projects.

1 Like

TBJK, I have a roof rack that I’m looking to build for my Full-Sized Jeep very shortly. Not sure if I’m going to do 1.5" or 2" tube. I would appreciate being able to use your bender and getting your tube size recommendations… Let me know

Thanks
Todd Wikel

1 Like

What is your intentions of the roof rack? Is going to be for Overlanding or just the casual roof rack?

1 Like

@rogue If you’re just holding regular equipment (and nothing like another jeep on top), i’d just go with 1.5" or smaller.

@Nick His YT channel has alot of good details I’ve grown to follow.

1 Like

The rack will be for overlanding. Having new 401 engine installed now so I’ll be getting back on rask once the truck is running again.