To Prep or Not To Prep,

4 Likes

Not the sort of article I’d expect to see on Medium.

Informative article. Pretty entertaining read, too.

If the AR style rifles ever are banned, isn’t the obvious alternative to buy another rifle that looks less “scary” but has the same capability? The AR argument is really about optics and naming convention at this point it seems.

1 Like

I know that Remington makes a pump-action rifle that accepts STANAG magazines (i.e. AR-15 magazines). I’d link to it, but work firewall rules and all.

But see, that guy has a “pistol grip” so it’s scary in it’s own right.

The Ruger Mini-14 is a perfect example. Same ammunition, same rate of fire, etc. but not scary looking.

2 Likes

Which is why the obvious answer is to define the banned weapons based on their functional capabilities.

Yeah, not scary looking. Especially if you’ve seen how badly they perform at the hands of a crack team of ex-Army Special Forces.

2 Likes

Who only manage to shoot the ground in the vicinity of their opponents, such is their inaccuracy.

1 Like

The version with the folding stock would probably scare people.

You know in the grand scheme of things, I could be considered a prepper. But not in the traditional way. When I was a lot younger I felt that I needed to give myself skill sets that I can barter for. So my adult life has been after as many skills as I can learn. As self sustaining as possible. Do I have years worth of food, no.

Likely my house will never flood either, I bought my house based off TOPO maps & knowing that I am not in danger of that. The lake will over flow the top of the dam, & I still won’t see that water

7 Likes

Lucifer’s Hammer by Larry Niven / Jerry Pournelle is an excellent prepper novel.

TL;DR - bulk spices / high-end booze make for best trade goods (value for mass/weight)

2 Likes

Best part happens in the post-show comments. To wit:

6 Likes

The 2018 ban seeks to remove many firearms based on their cosmetic features.
There is a specific list of weapons here on the bill.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/5087/text