To Do List, Action and Task Tracking Software

OK, so I have never found a good software choice for this, so I thought I might see if any DMSers had found something great for this.

I have seen plenty of crap, and I have used plenty of crappy solutions, even dorked around in word and excel. But everything I have tried winds up being way too cumbersome, hence big time waster. Anyone found the awesomeness for to do list software?

Here are criteria I dream of:

*Heirarchical-when I start it I see major task groups that I can go down into and see tasks for each group. Example: when rebuilding Mazda I could had that as high level group, with all the tasks needing completion underneath.
*cloud based accessible via pc and android, even browser ready
*ties into contacts and calendar somehow where maybe I can schedule my time and log accomplishments
*Something clean, doesnā€™t make a huge bloody mess creating confusion.
*Easy to manipulate, should be easy and intuitive to edit, add, delete, report.

Anyone?

2 Likes

A lot of people use Trello. Ive used TaskFreak (http://www.taskfreak.com/), or Solo (http://getsoloapp.com/)

4 Likes

Aha!, Basecamp, and MS Project are the 3 Iā€™ve used off the top of my head. I like Aha!, but Basecamp is much cheaper and has most of the functionality.

1 Like

If youā€™re an Office 365 subscriber, MS has just release ā€œPlannerā€ (I think itā€™s supposed to supplant Project, which has been ā€œgoing awayā€ since forever, but keeps being released anyway) and, depending on your plan, you might have access to.
It sucks, but if itā€™s included in something youā€™re already paying forā€¦

I use cloud based COZI to track all my appointments. http://www.cozi.com/ It can be accessed from any computer or cell phone. You can even bulk download your appointments into it from Office 365, Google, and a host of other applications. It is simple to use and cheap. Even sends out email reminders to flagged events.

I am a big fan of Chaos Control which implements GTD (Getting Things Done) on Android.

1 Like

Karl, I agree. GTD is the best idea out there. I will look into Chaos Control to see how it implements things. David Allen is big on not promoting a particular app for his system. An app is not enough but knowing GTD and a good app would be awesome. Get the Getting Things Done book (hardcopy). Itā€™s really extremely simple.

1. Create a trusted system for your projects or ā€˜to doā€™ needs in order to declutter your mind. Your brain has better things to do than keep track of your ā€˜to doā€™ needs in an ineffective manner.

2. You canā€™t ā€˜doā€™ a project or a ā€˜bigā€™ thing. You can only do tasks. You can only do small tasks. All big tasks are composed of small tasks.

His book would make a good DMS class hosted by someone who is implementing the system well.

First of all, Chaos Control has the title that summarizes the problem description and needed solution concisely.

I have spent 5 minutes looking at this software, and I must say, that is EXACTLY what I had no idea I needed. Wow! Glad I found my old post. Thanks David Allen fans. What a gem!