Tips for Finishing a v-carve

So I had an idea that I was going to try but before I did I thought I would see if someone else has tried it and if it works. I am v-carving an bitmap image into 1/2 pre-sanded plywood. I would like the area of that has been removed to be painted a different color (white) than the area that remains (purple). The thought was that I would pre-paint the plywood purple and tape over the area that is going to be v-carved after the paint has dried. Blue tape over the area to be v-carved and let the cnc do it’s business. Assuming the tape does not pull up or get “fuzzes” on the edge, I should then be able to paint the removed portion white. Once that is done I would pull the tape off and viola- a perfectly painted white image on the purple background. So my questions are-

Using a V-bit (60 Deg .5") is it possible to remove the material without “fuzzing” the tape?
Is there a better option than blue tape?
Is there a better way of finishing this that does not involve me hand painting an intricate design?

Thoughts?

If I understand what you’re trying to do and it was me…

1. Vcarve
  2. Spray paint white
  3. Use a brayer to apply purple paint
1 Like

Yes…

• Bring rubbing alcohol / acetone. You will removing adhesive from the endmill (or the next person to use the endmill will be extremely unhappy with you when goo is smeared on their expensive Cherry).

• Please use the solvent outside.

• Paper towels are very helpful in such situations.

• I highly doubt blue tape is going to survive even a few seconds. I suspect it will end up wrapped around the endmill and spindle.

• I doubt you will find a tape that “chips” in a way that will work.

• I suspect double sided tape with a wood veneer on top may work (a sandwich).

• You may be able to find a top clear coat (something like Polycrylic / polyurethane) that repels the purple paint which would negate the need to use tape.

1 Like

Don’t they already make a purple acrylic with a white core as well if you wanna get real fancy?

1 Like

In case your question was meant for me: I don’t know.

Like, 2 layer plastic?

Sure.

http://www.johnsonplastics.com/engraving/engravable-sheet-stock/plastic

Yes that stuff lol. I’d still do paint because I’m cheap unless it was something special but that works if it’s going to be permanent. CA has brayers

Just FYI- rolling over with a brayer works best- not perfect, but a passable time saver. Just have some clean up hand painting, but much quicker.

2 Likes

You can also use a liquid painters mask. Once dry, it routes pretty cleanly, producing nice edges.

Paint the board with your top layer paint. Allow to dry thoroughly.

Paint the board with painters mask. Allow to dry thoroughly,

Route the lower height image out. Clean it well, sand, etc.

Spray the lower level paint. While paint is still wet, carefully remove the mask.

Ole’

3 Likes