Tight stainless coil

I bet there are some folks around the metal shop that have the appropriate welding skills.

You can probably find some help.

@tmc4242 How would welding help with bending hollow tubes to make a coil?

I was thinking weld the smaller tubes into a manifold at the bottom of the bigger tube. Coolant would flow down the inner ( larger ) tube to this manifold, then thru the smaller outer tubes on the way back out. Another manifold would be needed to collect from all the smaller tubes and route to the pump.

Why not just run 1/2 inch tubing coaxial inside 1 inch tubing, stopping about 1/4 from a cap on the bottom of the 1 inch tube? Then find the elusive 1x1/2x1/2 tee, to pass the 1/2 through, and separate the down flow and up flow paths.

Not as efficient as multiple tubes, but certainly easier.

Being pre chilled, how much heat really needs to be removed?

You’re better off using a wrap of coils and a blanket around the outside of the carboy. I’ve looked at this before and the best I’ve found was a 3.5" diameter coil that I could run down the center of my modified keg fermenter.

Check out Spike Brewing’s coils… good stuff. Love mine.

My burner just arrived. If I get organized, I may just go for leaving it in the chilly garage with my heating wrap and a blanket for this round.

Does anyone know where I can get stainless compression fittings (1/4” - 3/8”) locally? Home Depot, Lowe’s and Elliots do not stock stainless.

Go to Wilson Company on the East side of Addison Airport.

1 Like

Here’s a vid on making springs on a lathe which is worth a watch. It’s what first came to mind but then I realized you’re needing to coil ‘tubing’. That’s an entirely different category so this won’t work i’m sure.

1 Like

Paul,

Interesting video on spring making. Tubing should be possible to coil if the mandrel radius is larger than the tubing bending minimum radius. So large mandrel large tubing feeder and really large pitch.

Regards,

Bob

Paul_Morley

December 19

BobKarnaugh:
Some springs are turned on the lathe

Here’s a vid on making springs on a lathe which is worth a watch. It’s what first came to mind but then I realized you’re needing to coil ‘tubing’. That’s an entirely different category so this won’t work i’m sure.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/i1x5_S0Pq4k