Tidal power station breaks record

4 Likes

That’s pretty cool.

Where’s the countdown clock for protests against this because [fill in some arbitrary study] suggests it is doing [fill in some negligible impact] to [fill in some negligible eco-something]

1 Like

Fisherman won’t like them because nets near them will be prohibited.

Curious what the maintenance is like.

The Kennedy’s and their ilk will prefer them over the windmills that present an eyesore for their beach front properties, so the greens who oppose likely will not get anywhere with this one. Besides the blades might help the kennedy’s and their fellow politicos dispose of a few bodies…

1 Like

Fisherman are already pariah’s among the greens because of their depopulating of the ecosystem so they likely will not get much traction.

Indeed any restrictions on fishing tend to increase the profit and while not good for the small guy seem to turn out well for the corporate fisherman.

At a guess, I would say much like diesel engines on ships. But only a guess. They don’t cover how deep these things are, so that could significantly increase maintenance efforts, unless they have some way to raise and lower these things to perform routine maintenance.

Of course the whole equation will change if Nessie gets pissed.

walter…what? LOL

No I’m thinking of fouling and corrosion. If you’ve ever had a boat in the ocean, bottom maintenance is horrible. Growth on the blades would impact efficiency quickly. If in shallow enough water they could be cleaned, maybe even with a specially designed robot that clamps onto vanes/prop and can quickly go over the surface.

But currents are strong and fairly constant this looks like a good solution. Becasue they can be closely spaced the grid would be reasonable to put in.

I’m sure some minnow will be found with a bruise from the nasty ominous Gia killing machines that will require they be shut down.

1 Like

Corrosion and growth (barnacles) can be eliminated with proper materials. I would expect maintenance of the moving parts would be the primary problem. But I guess we will see if these devices proliferate.

Yah but how many fish do those blades slaughter in their pursuit of bourgeoisie decadence and comfort…just like all those bird slaughtering abominations littering the countryside stealing power from the wind? :nerd_face: