Thunder Laser Rotary Question

Hello good people of DMS,

I’m hoping to get some advice on cutting 8"dia acrylic tubing with a 1/8" wall thickness. I have used the rotary before with mugs and things like that but I was wondering if you think it’s possible to cut profiles out of an 8" diameter tube if I come up with some kind of stand that could prop the rotary up in a stable manner but allow the tube to spin around the rotary base since 8in is larger than it can hold sitting flat. Is this something anyone has done before? Is this something I shouldn’t even be asking because it breaks a rule or something? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Are you talking about elevating the rotary base with “risers”? Or something different?

Yeah, essentially. The tube is only 6" long but it’s got a big diameter which is the problem I’m trying to overcome.

I can 3d print a soft-jaw to hold the tube in the chuck but I can’t figure out if there’s a good way to elevate the vise to overcome the diameter issue.

I’d be equally concerned about the scan direction. Someone with more rotary experience needs to weigh in … @talkers?

Per the rotary tool instructions on the wiki:

1. Ensure that the laser is set to engrave longitudinally along the X-axis, with only slight indexing movements in the Y direction. Select X-Swing from the Parameter Library dialog.

If the scan is in the longitudinal access, then the rotary action is slow and the item can be securely held. If the scan is in the rotational (Y) axis, then the item spins back and forth quickly and it’s a booger to try to hold it.

Yeah here’s the drawing for the part I need to make. It can be cut slowly but it does involve rotating about 50% the circumference to make the cuts.

I suppose if I made a stable base for the rotary that maybe even incorporated some magnets to hold it securely to the mesh table and spread the force out over a wider area proportional to the elevation change it would be stable enough. Not too sure yet though.

now that I’m thinking about it. I don’t know if the bed will even go low enough to do this.

In theory, the working area is 9.8" deep.

Hmm. Well that would theoretically work.

What you really want is a roller rotary attachment. Your cylinder lays on top of 2 rollers or 4 wheels (2 wheels at each end).

Laser Committee has looked into ordering one. Not sure the status. @sixvolts @JoshW @pinewoodnut

Something like this:

https://www.bosslaser.com/rotary-attachment-roller.html

Ha! Cloudray of course offers one. PLUS other rotary options. Let’s order!

AND they have it on Amazon.

1 Like

We had a bunch of problems with the rotaries and getting newer ones got pushed to the back burner until we can work out the issues with the units we have.

I think we’re getting close to being fully functional again. Cutting tubing sounds like a fun thing to try.

1 Like

Another possible option is to use the Bridgeport mill. I’m not sure which kind of table would best be used to cut it on the Bridgeport mill but I’ll bet @BobKarnaugh or @nicksilva would be able to help you.

Russell Ward

While milling acrylic is very possible, A large, but thin wall piece is difficult to work on either the Bridgeport or lathe, for that matter. The force of the cutter tends to crush the piece. If the hollow were reinforced with a wooden or plastic form, with say, an 1" or so of wall thickness so that it couldn’t be crushed then it is possible. Still, at 8" diameter, fixturing would be an issue, but not impossible.

2 Likes

Yeah I’ve looked into milling it but it’s too flimsy and I don’t have a 4th axis to rotate the part. I’ll look into that rotary.

Do you know which model would work with the Thunder laser? I’m looking at just getting one to use for this. It’s for a company project but I can’t find a single shop in DFW who will make that part for me so I’m going the DIY route.

I think there’s a 3 phase or 2 phase option for those rotaries.

One outstanding issue is that the new version of RDWorks does not support the rotary we have to adjust for diameter.

Rollers do not have this problem, as no adjustment is needed for diameter. The gearing is set to match the y axis and that is it. Diameter is not a factor.