Thunder laser abilities

Does the Thunder Laser have the ability to etch stainless steel? I have some ideas to make a few gifts for family and friends. Can anyone help me out with this?

a CO2 laser (which the Thunder is) can not engrave (actually cut and remove material) in metals. However, with the use of a marking compound such as Cermark, you can apply a black image to the metal which bonds to it very well. Think of like those metal serial number tags.
cheers!

4 Likes

Depending on the detail level you’re shooting for, I can show you how to make a stencil on the vinyl cutter and then use the sandblaster to etch it into the stainless.

2 Likes

Could I use the Cermark with a stencil so I can repeat?

I don’t see why not. You’d have to spray it on. Cermark comes in a spray can or in a brush on which can be diluted for use with an air brush.

Note: I don’t think Makerspace has/supplies Cermark. The closest place I’ve found it available is from Engravers Network in Arlington and is about $60 per can.

Why not use the routers…or metaza if it’s small enough

If you want to mark stuff on the cheap you can use molybdenum disulfide spray. Used just like Cermark but it won’t come out as dark.

1 Like

I called Engravers Network. They say you can get 85-100 applications on tumblers from a can. That is well within my cost parameters. I have about 40 tumblers.
Now to figure out how to use the laser. I took a class with John a long time ago and will be taking one on Sunday again. I do everything twice.-Catch 22.
I have a call into a moly company in Houston too.
Thank all of you for your input/recommendations.

1 Like

You might want to get on your lathe and make a tapered plug for the tumblers so you can hold it on the lathe rotary fixture

I can do that. Not sure what size though.
I have plenty of wood to make a plug, just not sure what it attaches to.

One way or other you need to fashion something that supports your work between centers. In the case of a tumbler. you probably want either a jamb chuck-like concave (or convex would work too, I guess…) piece with a tenon that will secure in the rotary accessory headstock, with the rotary accessory tail-stock+live center then coming forward to hold/press against the bottom, OR similarity, a support piece that fits snugly inside the tumbler with same tenon as above and same orientation via-a-vis the tail-stock+ live center.

Take a look and I think it will all be clear/straightforward:

http://www.thunderlaser.com/how-to-use-your-laser-machine/how-the-rotary-axis-works.html

2 Likes

The laser training information on the wiki shows a picture of a tumbler in the rotary engraving fixture.

There is a three-jaw scrolling chuck at one end, and at the other end there is a conical piece that is intended to go into the “punt” (i.e., dimple) on the bottom of a wine bottle. I don’t know exactly but that conical end might be 90 degrees.

Here are a couple other photos.

If it were me, I would make a tapered plug for the hollow end of the tumbler, which would receive a conical recess matching the (TBD) angle of the attachment’s conical piece - like the one shown in the left hand photo. Then I would make a “socket” to hold the base of the tumbler and I would mount that “socket” in the 3-jaw chuck (or you can take your chances on that end just using a foam or rubber sheet to prevent the chuck from scarring your tumbler). The socket might need a reduced diameter stem on it depending on the capacity of the 3-jaw chuck - if you speculatively turned the stem to 2" I’m sure that would be fine since the chuck can hold a wine bottle.

Obviously both of these parts should be somewhat snug. And you might have to rotate your image 180 degrees if you put the foot of the tumbler into the chuck.

Probably a lot of work, but since you have 40 tumblers it’s probably worth the effort.

1 Like

Good job @mblatz. You beat me to it!

1 Like

Gentlemen,

Thanks. The video makes sense in my wonderment.
When I come in I can see the size limitations and work on something to hold it in place. Work when it induces learning is good for me in my old age.
I will probably build something inside the tumbler out of wood with a tenon on it to keep it secure and level. I need to use my lathe more anyways.

Thanks again.

2 Likes

lolololol…<!;qughfv;qiwuhgf>

1 Like

That is funny. When I initially sent the email I was going to say Gentlemen and Marshall
but I thought that would be tacky. Or true?
I know you are but you probably don’t think so.
I think you’re a stand up guy, versus lay down or fall down…

Jeff Whitcomb
2100 Bowling Green
Denton, TX 76201
800-969-9368
cell-903-203-9463
“The only good sense is one of humor, without it all the others are worthless.” JCW
[email protected]

1 Like

And what does that make me? :wink:

That would have been pretty funny! Especially since John = Chris!!

Reminds me of the old comedian punch line: “That’s no lady, that’s my wife!”

Take my wife. John, my opinion is only based on the cumulative knowledge I have of something. It doesn’t always add up or I have cognitive dissonance. Which is ordinarily the case most of the time.