Thread for art we are working

I hope it is not a hassle to start a thread about art we are working on.

1 Like

I think this is a cool idea. I Iove seeing works in progress, not just finished stuff. I particularly like comments on thinking process, challenges, etc.

1 Like

This one was fun… The file was done in MS Publishers as 15.5 x 11.5" and it came out in DXF format as about 28000 inches in size. The PlasmaCAM software had the whole grid for the table about 1/2" in size with this being HUGE on the screen.

Thanks to @dallasmagna, it has been resized to the proper size and will hopefully soon be cut out from plate steel.

3 Likes

So here’s a project I’m working on. I think it’s gonna grow up to be a natural color gradient wool/alpaca cardigan or jacket. Some assembly required.

Project steps:
Wash romney fleece
Dehair raw alpaca guard hairs
Wash several alpaca fleeces
Dye if I’m gonna (probably not this one)
Prep for spinning (wool combs)
Spin yarn
Knit/crochet/weave jacket/cardigan (tbd)

This is the first step, washing a raw Romney (sheep breed) fleece.

I wash fleece in my washing machine (no agitation, just convenient water changes). I bag it in really cheap crappy lingerie bags (nice big holes for water circulation). Makes water changes easy (pull them out of washer and set aside in shallow plastic tub, switch water, drop back in).

There’s usually several water changes to scour fleece (get the dirt and most of lanolin out). Critical factor is extremely gentle handling and no agitation when in hot water or it’ll felt and ruin it for spinning. Not to mention, the cost of the fleece.

Each water change is about an hour soaking time. Key is starting water has to be above 140 degrees to melt lanolin, which then floats to top, and not cool too much or it re-deposits. So I do this on a day I can babysit it with periodic water switches, but do other stuff too. Kinda like making bread. Lots of waiting.

Water changes:

1. overnight cold-soak (gets TONS of dirt out)
  2. hot water/soap
  3. hot water
  4. hot water (water getting clearer)
  5. last hot water (unless last water was murky), plus a glug of vinegar (helps Ph)
  6. spread out on baby gate propped on a couple chairs (ventilation), turn occasional for a couple of days until thoroughly dry
  7. store (and lable! Ahem.)

Here’s pic of the raw fleece being bagged and ready to scour. Under proper cat supervision, of course.

1 Like

Due to coloring, I wasn’t sure if that WAS cat fur in the bag… Good write-up of your process though!

1 Like

Lol. The cat herd isn’t ready for shearing yet, unfortunately. (Just kidding)

So yeah, just sheep fleece is all that’s in the bags :smiley:

Although it was a challenge keeping the cats OUT. They looooooove the smell of raw sheep fleece and go bonkers trying to slither in it. Nope to that.