Thought on New Automotive Class

That’ll be part of what I want to do. I just need to be accepted as a lift instructor and I can teach you.

Nobody has chimed in on a good time, so I’m thinking something like Tuesday nights.

1 Like

It’s much more fun to work on other people’s cars. My current conundrum

Locked up turbo.

2 Likes

The door placard is the best way to get actual build dates (and VIN, while you’re there). But since Trailblazers were produced starting in 1999 and OBD II became mandatory in 1996, it will be compliant, with the port mounted in the driver’s footwell, no tools required, etc.

1 Like

You need to have meet the minimum class attendance and teach a class on how to :

Insert your class topic here.
Automotive classes have and do qualify for the honorarium - this is been covered (hello horse I’ve come to beat ye again).

The “Makerspace” by description is a “WORKSHOP” & the automotive garage area falls under that perfectly.

Where EXACTLY is this written that it is “forbidden”?
I’d like to see the physical document.

Where is the TSB on this?

Interesting - This doesn’t apply to European cars which have the most advanced ABS systems.

This has just been a longstanding item with calendar admins; old board was heavy on it, current situation is… I’d like to see discussion, but calendar admins have been keeping the status quo on it.

Never said it was common with all ABS systems, but you saw what happened with my brakes after a shop tried an improper bleed.

Even with the vacuum bleeder I picked up for that master replacement, I still had to modify the bleed valves to seal better in order to get it to pull through properly since we couldn’t push it even with a custom fit reservoir top using a spare OEM seal.

So since some people suggested that he start with typical maintenance instead of problems. He’s posted a class for the 17th and 24th

Tentatively planned for the 17th would be oil change, air filter and fuel filters.

Tentatively planned for the 24th is transmission and differential fluid.

2 Likes

According to your statement we clearly need replacement calendar admins and a BOD that isn’t comprised of any past members and has more backbone than the common jellyfish.

Or we can teach other classes; there are plenty of things besides brakes/SRS/airbags to teach. Things that are easy and obvious to you are not to members who have never worked on their cars before. Someone changing pads/rotors may not know that opening the line is dangerous without bleeding if they’re just trying to push the piston back. Someone may not know they have an ABS module that’s picky about traditional bleeding methods versus an ABS pump bleed.

These are things that whomever teaches the class would have to know all of them. I personally wouldn’t want that liability. Just teach a class on something else. Oil changes, suspension, dent pulling, timing belts, filters, plugs, whatever. Just not the safety components that can be critically different across vehicles.

I have a vibration that acts exactly like a wheel bearing failure but isn’t. We could teach a class on swearing at suspension and driveline components until they proffer an explanation. :upside_down_face:

Unfortunately I just finished a load of heavy work repairing collision damage on my Range Rover so that’s not really around to show anyone the “hows” of anything. Too bad, too, extra hands and a lift would have taken a load off my back (literally). Replacing a front axle on the ground is no fun at all.

1 Like

This will all be a moot point if automotive doesn’t exist in the future of the DMS.

1 Like

Still remember doing my 1 ton axle swap on my
Jeep in my driveway. Of course it rained the whole week I took off to do it. It was also about 9-10 years ago.

4 Likes

Tim, what’s next ? Axles from an Army Deuce?

1 Like

Nope. I did know a guy out of Houston who did do that with his Jeep, 2007 JK as well. He also built an Exo cage around it. The last time I talked to him he cratered his stock 3.8. He was put in a GM 5.3.

1 Like