This is a long shot but

It really is.
Where does anyone who wants to learn start?

http://tribunist.com/military/record-for-longest-sniper-kill-shattered-isis-soldier-killed-from-more-than-2-miles-away/?utm_source=MA

2 Likes

@Ferman Natural point of aim, sight alignment and trigger control. Then…practice, practice, pracitce. Actually learning to shoot out to 1000 yards is doable and can be practiced at a handfull of places in the USA. Distances longer than 1000 yards become more difficult due to finding places to shoot at those distances is a challenge.

You can learn many of the skills with a .22 rimfire at 50yds or 100 yds. Natural point of aim, sight alignment and trigger control is the same at any distance and you need to have these three skills well developed to be able to read the conditions for longer ranges.

Russell

5 Likes

Practice - yes, the more the better - I think I’ve gone shooting once since retiring.

My brother’s co-worker, neighbor and close friend had to qualify twice a year at a 1000 yards in his job…
Here is his rifle barrel that I framed in a display box a couple years ago(the bullet has “one shot one kill” engraved into it), Gary had a lot of practice…

11 Likes

That’s really cool.
Did you get it cut to display, or did it come to you that way?
Just wondering how it was accomplished, and guessing waterjet…

Gary’s work partners took his barrel and had it cut and engraved (the barrel is engraved with the same text on the plate)
My brother - checked it in his bag for the Southwest flight to Dallas - and brought it to me to frame.

3 Likes

Some years ago, immediately after Hurricane Katrina, I was deployed with the Texas National Guard as a part of Operation Lone Star. Our jobs were to recover aircraft, provide emergency health care, restore civil order, build infrastructure like power and telephony, and in general maintain the peace.

We had a lot of hot, stinky, long work days. A lot of rotting seafood found its way into the lake and Mississippi river. After several days it was pretty awful. There was little air conditioning and few creature comforts.

During this time we had a number of criminals/looters take pot shots at the Guardsman doing their jobs. Occasionally, the FBI’s Hostage Rescue Team was called in to dispatch the person taking the pot shots since the local police had pretty much abandoned New Orleans. (Marshall law had been declared as you recall https://www.propublica.org/nola/story/nopd-order-to-shoot-looters-hurricane-katrina/) Law enforcement was left up to the Federal government and occasionally Guardsman.
Our Rules of Engagement were that we could only return fire.

These guys would fly into the area in their black, almost silent helicopters and shoot the perpetrator from the air. One shot one kill indeed. Problem solved. We would then go retrieve the body for the Louisiana state law enforcement to process. The FBI’s snipers were incredibly accurate and very efficient at their work.

I have the greatest respect for the men and women who protect and defend this country from crime, terrorism and those that want to destroy it. You and your brother deserve our thanks for your service. Many of them work completely unrecognized for the risky work they do.

Very cool shadow box, too. Where does it hang now?

4 Likes

Thanks Dan!
My brother was an active duty HMX-1 pilot flying POTUS into the Katrina area during that time.
Gary’s has the rifle barrel on display in his man cave.

3 Likes

Rex did a run down on how crazy a shot this was.

Enjoy the ballistics run down:
https://youtu.be/bzwY6jIwr2o

2 Likes

I think he was aiming for the horse.

3 Likes

Thanks!
I’m a few gazillion rounds behind, then. :smiley: