Thingiverse data breach may affect you

In case you’re just a casual 3d-printing user you may not have noticed the news. A little over a quarter fo a million Thingiverse user emails were leaked in a data breach.

If you have an account it’s probably best to go change your password.

4 Likes

Ope. Good looking out!

I already got my friendly notice from Have I Been Pwned. If you aren’t already on the breach notification service, use it. Not perfect but getting notifications for ones disclosed when the breached party doesn’t send notices (like thingiverse) is nice.

As an FYI if you use Google SSO or similar to login to Thingiverse, your makerbot account may still need the password rotated since it’s the backend for authenticating to Thingiverse and where your account info really lives. The fact you can’t change your password from within the Thingiverse dash is irritating.

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

4 Likes

Thankfully Have I Been Pwned and my password manager are both saying I wasn’t part of the breach and my password hasn’t been exposed. Phew!

1 Like

I would recommend migrating your designs to https://www.prusaprinters.org/ the site is well managed and Prusa is actively engaged in the community. They also make it easy to migrate from thingiverse.

It’s sad because my Thingiverse account and designs are 11 years old now. I’m only keeping them up to prevent dead links.

6 Likes

If we are concerned about the future of Thingiverse, is there some respectful way to preserve Walter Anderson’s designs in another platform?

1 Like

Seems like that would be a question for Walter’s heirs / estate.

There was a discussion a couple of years ago on the Flite Test forums about preserving the work of a popular plane designer and the conversation started with “we should talk to his wife”

1 Like

FYI, I tried to log into my Thingiverse account and the login failed silently.

These is a new “Change your password” link, but nothing that says you must change the password (though it looks like you do).

When I requested a password change, it said to allow 10 minutes. It took a little over 4 HOURS for the email to appear. Until it appeared, I was basically locked out of my account.

I recommend updating your password before you need to.

2 Likes

Lol. I’d change my password if I could remember my current one.

You’re in luck: the Thingiverse “change my password” link requires the account email but not the current password.