There is more to Science

But I always assumed ‘math’ was short for mathematics anyway, not ‘mathematic’. Don’t need the extra ‘s’ at all because it’s implied with the added bonus that the word ‘math’ by itself makes sense too so one doesn’t need to say the entire word. But with ‘maths’ one does.

I use both Math and Maths. Armor and Armour. Eraser and Rubber. The last one is a fun one.

I always used the word “math” growing up. It’s strictly an American thing. In most mathematical oriented fields though, one might find oneself outnumbered by our many friends internationally who regularly use the word “maths”. I sometimes slip into this convention myself, depending on my audience.

Fun story about “Rubbers”. When I was 13 I had a paper route and one of my customers was British. He came out one afternoon and asked if I would like a bag of rubbers. I thought that would be just fine thanks. I was disappointed when it was a bag of my newspaper rubber bands he had been saving.

1 Like

Sure the ‘s’ does seem to suggest Scottish english but I’d suspect something more from the web like 4chan or other sites like that.

1 Like

I agree. Currently all physics models are wrong. Einstein was correct in that God does not play dice. The Copenhagen interpretation, which basically says we cannot understand what is happening at a quantum level so do not try to diagram interactions it is a waste of time. This has set physics back at least one hundred years because all the “MATHEMATICIANS” cannot “VISUALIZE” what is happening so it must be beyond comprehension. I say hogwash. Neils Bohr said there are only six individuals who really understand quantum mechanics. I say he is full of Sh**, and has overstated the case by six individuals. He does not understand neither do the others. For real physics go to: www.milesmathis.com. He is correcting all the errors in physics and mathematics and making physics physical again. No virtual particles, no electron holes, no phonons, no black holes, no force at a distance, no spooky forces, no gravity that pulls harder on land than water to explain tides, no renormalization or other mathematical fudges. Actual transforms that work. Several unified field equations with clear explanations of how physics really works. Enjoy. Phil

This is the guy that thinks Pi is 4. Just saying.

5 Likes

Huh? Who says this? I am pretty sure no one (at least not with a degree in physics, etc.). A reference/citation would help, please.

re: Miles Mathis…you and I have talked about this guy before, I think. Isn’t he the one who says gravity is actually a repulsive, not an attractive, force?

Oh, we will. We defintiley will :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s irrational!! (and, incidentally, transcendental).

2 Likes

I always thought it was about 3.50.

I always thought it tasted good.

Here is the rub…

Does it work? Can you use it to do real world things?

No? then it might not be valid.
If it does work, then you got something.

I don’t agree with you about the guy you pointed to but you and others following this would be welcome to join us to discuss these kinds of ideas at the monthly Millennium Discussion Group at the DMS. We meet the third Thursday of each month at 7PM.