There are two bays in automotive, not one

There are two bays in automotive, apparently some people just don’t get that concept. Below are some examples from the last few days of both good and bad parking in Automotive.

Good Parking:

Tiny car somehow taking both bays:

One good, one really, really bad:

Good job:

Oh, come on… you know better.

Great job:

7 Likes

no longer a butt hurt emoji :frowning:

1 Like

You are right, I should have shown this picture:

Two people parked badly:

He then, immediately after you left, followed your example of parking across both bays.

I finally gave up on trying to get some work done on my vehicle several hours later.

5 Likes

Yeah again, we coordinated getting the cars into the bay like that.

Did you even try to go and talk to James Ed and Jordan? Or did you decide to just go through the camera system you have trusted access to so you could engage in public shaming on the forum?

3 Likes

So you purposely parked badly, as an example to James friend, teaching him how to use both bays at once? Nice… Good job, way to set an example for new members.

I talked to them, they said 1/2 hour… at least an hour and a half later I gave up.

1 Like

It’s ok @StanSimmons we parked like a-holes on purpose.

Don’t you get it? As long as your intent is to park like this crap it doesn’t matter.

No we were all trying to work together, he couldn’t use the lift, we didn’t want to have the engine on for long because we were going to do finish exhaust work.

If you want to put shitty spins on this, you decided to show other committee chairs and members that you think it’s absolutely ok to use trusted camera access to try and public shame people?

2 Likes

I think I’ve seen people react this way when confronted that their parking behavior was crappy.

:blankspace:

1 Like

My intent was to educate people that there are two bays in automotive. You seem to think shitty parking is something to be admired, and you are the one that said you parked shitty on purpose. You shamed yourself.

Using pictures that match ones that are available publicly at https://dallasmakerspace.org/auto/ is not abuse of the camera system.

1 Like

Over the course of 5 different days you scraped those images live from the camera page? That’s some dedication!

2 Likes

My point is that pictures of the auto bays are available to the internet at large, and could be scraped easily. Since these pictures are similarly shrunk in size, there is no loss of privacy here.

My initial comment on the Cruel Bus was meant to be a little silly, because I KNOW that bus can be parked properly in that left bay… It often is parked correctly.

How do you propose a culture to change and improve? Do you think @StanSimmons was simply trolling @PearceDunlap to cause trouble and embarrass him?

Or perhaps, @StanSimmons, was looking to help and try to create awareness for @PearceDunlap to realize that a simple realigning of the vehicles are not only more in line with how the bays are designed, but also for safety?

Perhaps a response of; " you’re right, we simply made it work so to get our cars worked on and should have taken the time to rearrange them as the bays are intended to be used, thank you."

3 Likes

[quote=“StanSimmons, post:12, topic:24079”]My point is that pictures of the auto bays are available to the internet at large, and could be scraped easily. Since these pictures are similarly shrunk in size, there is no loss of privacy here.

My point is that pictures of the auto bays are available to the internet at large, and could be scraped easily. Since these pictures are similarly shrunk in size, there is no loss of privacy here.
[/quote]
Yes, could be scraped easily. Odds are they’re even periodically archived on one of the various wayback machines out there. But you indicate that didn’t happen in this case, thus the concern about privileged access to conduct an argument on Talk as opposed to being used for DMS business.

2 Likes

The purpose was DMS business, education about the proper and safe use of the automotive bays.

As is often said, a picture is worth a thousand words. I posted pictures of both good and bad parking, in equal values.

I didn’t name names, I didn’t post about the attitudes, and I certainly didn’t argue until @PearceDunlap started his snit.

2 Likes

Using privileged information for unofficial purposes is my main concern with this. Not the placement of vehicles in the auto bays. Did the chairperson of the area ask you to investigate? If not then you shouldn’t be using the cameras (or any other privileged information) for stuff like this. This is the kind of stuff that gets people fired.

Back to the auto bays, it’s not always safe and practical to park perfectly within the bay depending on the vehicle and the task at hand. I don’t think anyone was doing anything malicious. The best thing to do in a situation like this in my opinion is talk to the people. Ask them if they can make more room, ask them how long they’ll be there, try to work with the people that are there.

7 Likes

As Stan pointed out the ‘information’ is available to every member through the auto camera view. His ‘special’ access is only to the degree of the time frame of the information, but the information itself is not privileged. Further, his OP did not single out any individual or identify them. It was Pierce who identified himself and posted a picture identifying other members. Which is something we do on a regular basis with the Flickr page and its feed in the lobby.

Further, the OP was using the public ally available information to demonstrate proper use of the bays and improper use of the bays, without identifying an individual. As a firm supporter in the past of ‘doocracy’ I would expect you would support this excellent example of proper doocracy. Providing members with good and bad examples of proper behavior with the auto bays.

8 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

2 Likes

The purpose was DMS business, education about the proper and safe use of the automotive bays.

Did you not read my response to @PearceDunlap ? I did talk to them, then I waited 3x what they said would be the time, going out and looking for progress several times. Was that unreasonable? The last time I walked out there, they were sitting down chatting.

No, I don’t think they were being malicious, I probably should have been more obvious about being pissed at a tiny little VW using both bays…

The UniMog is a good example of something that is difficult to park properly in the bay, but it has on at least two occasions parked properly. I’ve also seen the Cruel Bus parked properly in the left bay, so I know that Pearce can safely park it there… he just didn’t want to do it last night and is making up an excuse.

As you can see from the picture Pearce posted, the UniMog was parked poorly last night. After it left, Pearce then parked poorly, apparently in an attempt to park quickly so the VW’s exhaust wouldn’t heat up too much. Unfortunately this poor parking example was taken to heart by Jordan who when Pearce left, decided to follow his example and park across both bays.

Ok we get it, since the bus can’t really make the left bay we’ll just use the right bay from now on. I mean, that blocks the lift, which we can’t use, and it blocks the left bay, but at least we’ll just be using one.

2 Likes

Bullshit. That Cruel Bus has been in the left bay parked properly before, and it can be again.