The XJ6 under blankets

That’s a lot of metal being moved around. Trunk really wasn’t usable, that’s spare mounted on bumper. But it’s impressive to watch.

2 Likes

“continental kit” spare mount…

No idea where they came up with that term…

See it really was a sports car. Agile like an Abrams. This was my first car

3 Likes

hugs the road with that Bradley Fighting Vehicle like height!

2 Likes

That thing was big, it should have had a telegraph mounted in the center instead of the PRNDL.

That beast would sit 4 adults across in the front. Having an all metal dash you never had worry about fading and cracking like cars today. Of course the 3’ diameter rib cracking impaling steering wheel (helm) was blissfully simple.

2 Likes

The key then and now hasn’t changed - just don’t hit or get hit by anything

I think you need a 1950’s functional spotlight on your cabrio like the one in your pic above

1 Like

I assume you’re kidding, but will trip the trap anyway.
1939 Lincoln Continental and the family feature which followed for generations.

your 39 Lincoln example shows it as purpose built /intended - not the add on crap that came along later in the “50’s” age of chrome where the bumper must be “extended” to make the “kit” fit (fit is NOT the word at all).

But since “Mericans” will buy just about any ridiculous add on when it comes to some car “options” the continental kit is no surprise…remember those fake convertible tops that you could get on cars? (when a shite vinyl top wasn’t a poor enough choice), lo and behold “someone” comes out with something worse…

2 Likes

I was just referring to why any rear-mounted spare-tire-like contrivance is referred to as a “Continental Spare”.
And yes, the fake Landau tops were…well, if not the worst, in contention…

1 Like

Andrew, have you seen the video of the radial engine made from air cooled VW engine parts? I have to wonder about the open pushrods and rockers and a few other details…

1 Like

At about 2:16 you can see the tappets, would love to see the camshafts. Based 2086 displacement and assuming keep keep the basic bore and stroke of the VW, those are Jugs from a 1300 engine.

Very cool and great workmanship.

They left out the details of the cam gearing as well. As for being open rocker/push rod, this is no doubt a pure show engine. It probably shows up at a few builder and engine shows, and rarely runs outside of that, so I doubt manually cleaning and oiling that, or durability is all that much a concern.

1 Like

Need a new alternator

The rockers on it would be fed oil by the pushrods if he kept to the air cooled vw plan & looks like it has a stock oil pump cover plate, (but without push rod tubes and rocker covers to return the oil to the case…)

1 Like

Had not seen.
Very nifty and fun little toy.
I’d wager there is, roughly, no oiling system, and the pushrods/etc get greased before startup, if at all. If there is an oil pump/sump, it probably only lubricates the crankcase/pistons and maybe the gears and bottom of the lifters…

It is a bit disappointing he didn’t show the valvetrain build at all. Machining the cam ring should have been interesting. I wonder if it was outsourced, or used something “off the shelf” (and non-vw)…
Because I think this guy’s non-running model is pretty nifty, too, and he does a nice job explaining how these beasts work, here’s how a cam ring works in a radial:

2 Likes

Great model and explanation.

2 Likes