The XJ6 under blankets

You would not believe how many people think Jeep used to, plans to, or is currently importing vehicles from a Chinese manufacturing plant- and the cries of outrage at MURICAN manufacturing going away that go along with that. While I felt you probably weren’t among that contingent, it was as good a chance as any to put it out there for the next guy.

CJ7s did indeed have an optional Quadra-Trac 4WD. Can’t remember the t-case model number, but you can identify between them by the rear driveline. 70s-80s Quadra-Trac has the rear output in line with the front output, rather than centered as the standard Dana 20. (And the other 4 or 5 versions of Quadra-Trac that followed)

The CJ-7’s had them.

Fair enough.

Can’t think of any British stuff from the 80s I’d want, either, especially that was sold in the USA. The Germans did do some good stuff, comparatively, during those dark, post oil crisis, days. But most marques suffered greatly with the 1,2 of the oil embargo and emissions imposition, with the European nameplates bearing the brunt. Wonderful years for the Japanese, though, comparatively.

Still, this Jag has a lovely straight 6, and generally pleasing appearance, in my opinion, so Lucas electronics by Samsung and all, might be worth the effort, despite probably never being a “high dollar” sale.

1 Like

I cannot thing of any Japanese car from the 80’s I’d want or heaven forbid actually have to work on. No thanks.

The Jag in question has about 30k miles on it. other than not being driven much, it has been started every now an then and driven…not much. The Jag mechanical bits - the straight 6 is solid, the brakes much easier to maintain at the rear since they are not inboard on this model, and it has been garage kept, never driven in the rain and never wrecked.

If I stumbled across a similar Asian car - my interest could be piqued (that would be a stretch tho).

3 Likes

I’ve had a few Japanese cars from the 80s and honestly the worst part is the vacuum systems, but then that’s not solely a Japanese problem, and if you take a couple hours to sort it with replacement hose, it’s never a problem again. The cars aren’t free from sin, but they don’t do anything egregious. The lack of a second overhead camshaft also really helps with packaging, so everything is pretty accessible.

It’s nothing like that Ford-designed Mazda6 I had to fix for my gran anyway.

If I MUST have a vehicle from the 1980s that was originally sold in the USA, I’d take virtually any Japanese tin over any American metal (generally). I had no issues working on them. My issues with working on British cars of the same era was their distinct lack of having ever worked well, even when brand new.

All this to say; roughly any 1990 car with 30k on it, still running, I’m in for looking at (I’m sure you can find an exception, though… God help me, I just searched “1990 Chrysler Lineup, it being among the most likely for me to say “No, thanks” and I find myself going “hmm… 1990 Chrysler Imperial, garage kept, only 30k miles, starts, runs, drives”… MAYbe I’d actually be interst…OH MY STARS! What is WRONG with me? NOBODY ever wanted those cars!!!”) Moral of the story: though I have my favorites, if given the time and resources, there isn’t much of anything I wouldn’t give a try to putting back on the road, just for the kick of it…even a 1990 Jaguar XJ6. :wink:

2 Likes

You mean you wouldn’t want mint condition Corinthian leather (or was that Vegan pleather?)…
How about a nearly not so awesome Chevy Citation - gotta luv the innovative radio mount in that model! (No wonder gm begs for my tax dollars in handouts 30 Yeats later, still clueless)

1 Like

No K car? Lmao.
I drove one because my mom wouldn’t let me drive her car.

2 Likes

:wink: :wink: nudge nudge say no more…
(Not that Isuzu makes a bad truck…)

The 80s K cars are fascinating for their own reasons, but none of those were because they were so damned good.

Deep down you still want a knight rider Camaro don’t you?

Isuzu - 4cyl turbo diesel -great engines yes.

3 Likes

Trans Am.
No, never have.
Even KRTT, where KITT’s personality module was transplanted to a Mustang: unwatchable. Probably for many reasons unrelated to the car, though, but it was pretty darned stupid, too.

1 Like

IIRC, the Citation was the model that would crack the unibody/frame welds if you drove it under 20MPh excessively. The security car at college had to go in for repairs. What a POS that GM product was.

1 Like

Trans Am / camaro - same buckets

The basic fact is - no decent manufacturer EVER offer a sports car model with a ‘T’ top roof option.

Targa, folding soft top, or later (ugh) folding hard top) yes…

1 Like

Why the ugh on a folding hard top? Mazda did it very well on the MX-5.

Sincerely,

A happy MX-5 PRHT owner.

3 Likes

I prefer canvas for a roadster is all.
Many folks have done folding hardtops well, but I think (personal opinion) it takes away something, especially on something meant to be small and fun

1 Like

Gen I Toyota MR2 begs to differ. (in my opinion, and yes, the “sports” part is debatable, but then the Trans Am was hardly ever a “sports” car, either…)

2 Likes

That should have been a targa top

1 Like

Like the 1950’s Ford Fairlane?

The 50s’s Ford retractable hardtop was light years ahead of everyone else but wasn’t available in the 80s

1 Like