The Whole Spray Paint Thing (Again)

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

3 Likes

A search for “aerosol” returns nothing. A search for “paint” returns nothing relevant. Seems like a legitimate question. I’m unsure why it would have been downvoted and hidden.

It was flagged as “off topic” sufficiently to get hidden.
Feel free to discuss here, if you must.

Here’s a link to one of the past hashings and gnashings:

How can an OP be flagged as off topic? It has set the topic of the thread.

2 Likes

@Jast is correct that it was considered to be off topic (one mod flagged it and another concurred). @Jeeves this was cut out from a different thread.

I somewhat agree, but what I was bringing up was tangentially on topic. A member asked what the best way to cut metal without using a saw would be. Down the line someone asked if our lasers could do it. They wont, however if she wanted to etch the metal (which is a thing that’s done with jewelry and an option she might want to consider) then she can use Ceremark to do so. When they said that we cant use the spray version anymore I brought this up in disagreement. So did I directly address her desire to cut metal without using a saw. No. Did I mention that she should be just fine using spray Ceremark on her metal jewelry to etch it on the lasers should she choose to do so? Yes.

Edit- I should also state, if they flagged it to avoid another storm of discussion about the use of aerosols at DMS so it didn’t detract from OP’s metal cutting question, then its all good and my precious feelings about it are not hurt. However, if they flagged it because the believe the law actually exists, then I would like to see them provide it for the rest of the class to discuss.

5 Likes

The reasons that computer searches will not find anything on these topics are that the City of Carrollton follows the International Building Codes, version 2018. The International Building Codes are copyrighted documents and are “not” on any computer database, therefore not searchable. DMS purchased a complete set of these hard copy documents at a cost of around $900. Fire Code, Electrical Code, Plumbing Code, and Mechanical Building Codes. These documents, when all lined up on a shelf, take up about 12 inches of shelf space. These documents are located in the Expansion Office off the Common Room. Any DMS member is free to come in and manually read through these documents. I will not read it for you. If you have trouble sleeping at night, reading these documents is a magic cure-all. Once you find your answer, chapter and verse, then I can can contact the Fire Marshall for his interpretation of said document.

Edit: FYI - The fine for being caught by any City Inspector is $2,000. This fine is to the individual, not DMS. People do not understand that you can spray paint in your own backyard of your own home, but if you rent or lease your home you must have landlord approval first. Dallas Makerspace is a business location and the laws are different. All I can say is that you have been warned.

13 Likes

On a side note, I think it’s horseshit that laws can be copyrighted. Actually I think if someone republished them as “The City of Carrollton Building Code” I don’t think there’s a damn thing anyone could do about it. West Publishing lost a case on this subject many years ago.

2 Likes

The difference in the West Publishing case is they were denied copyright to what they did not write themselves (i.e. their printed collections of rulings, statutes, etc).

These codes are actually written by those who publish them. Additionally, this is not a gov’t agency, but a technical association that writes standards. Not every standard is adopted, some are adopted with caveats or changes.
In this case Carrollton chose to defer their building and fire codes to the technical association that wrote them.

2 Likes

This is easily the most adult response that I have ever seen to a flagging on this forum. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

And even then I was still snarky!

4 Likes

Looks like it’d cost a person about the same to acquire “the whole thing” on CD…
https://shop.iccsafe.org/codes/2018-international-codes-and-references/2018-i-code-sets/i-quest-2018-complete-14-collection-cd-rom.html
Well, “as low as”…

1 Like

I get it, but once it’s law, it is by definition in the public domain. Or should be. I should not have to pay to see the laws I am expected to follow.

I’m not talking about publishing “their” writings. I’m talking about publishing the laws adopted by a government. The fact that they contain the same words in the same order is not my problem.

Whelp found this in the interim; check Public Resource for copies, however the real question is whether they are complete or up to date.

3 Likes

I’m thinking that these would be available at the public library. While I would also hope that there is someplace at, oh, City Hall where these laws could also be viewed, I’m not sure exactly where they would be available for public viewing.

https://codes.iccsafe.org

https://codes.iccsafe.org/content/IFC2018P3

https://codes.iccsafe.org/content/IFC2018P3/chapter-2-definitions

Hmm… That doesn’t seem applicable…

So far, I’ve found nothing about prohibiting individuals from using aerosols at a business (I think that’s the objection here… not quite sure…)

1 Like

That’s IFC. Don’t forget we fall under IBC, NFPA, and others as well.

IBC has a lot to say on places where flammable liquids/gasses, organics, and related are used. Don’t even get me started on NFPA

I’m currently AFK and just have my phone rather than a desktop, but I think this is one of the relevant sections of IBC.

https://codes.iccsafe.org/content/IBC2018P3/chapter-3-occupancy-classification-and-use

1 Like

Making them available for public viewing is not making them public. If I can’t read them on my sofa while eating pizza, drinking a beer and petting my dog then they aren’t public enough.

I don’t care what deals my government decides to cut with a private publisher, it damn well better not prevent me from reading the law under the conditions I decide are right for me.

2 Likes

Sounds like you might have an entitlement issue here.

Building records are public, can’t view them at home…
Lots of court records are public but you have to go to the courthouse to view them…
Lots of FOIA information is public record, it isn’t something you can view while doing the above noted activities.

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: The Spray Painting Booth Thing (Again)

None of this has anything to do with the topic which sparked this whole thread:

So we’re looking for the reason the BoD declared canned propellants (e.g. spray paint) “off limits”.
It would be swell if @Diplomat @Kriskat30 @Photomancer @LukeStrickland and/or @dr_cee, as the members of the Board from whence this edict was declared, were to weigh in on which statute, exactly, served as the impetus. At the very least, it would be great if some one of those would tell us that they have been placed under a gag order and have no further comment…

The minutes show this as an “announcement”, with no backing documentation I can see:
https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Board_of_Directors_Meeting_20190318