The thread where we look at other maker/hacker spaces and what they do

FYI every Dallas Makerspace member just received an open invitation to visit Chimera Art & Makerspace from Dana Woodman the executive director

3 Likes

The Curious Forge in Grass Valley, CA

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheCuriousForgeMakerSpace/

(VERY good info) Link to orientation: http://thecuriousforge.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/new-member-orientation-_Mar2017.pdf @Team_PR @Kriskat30

Electronics, CNC Mill, 3D printers, Woodcraft, Jewelry & Metals, Large Metals, Ceramics, Textiles

Looks like they average a class a day. Has indications of community involvement and group projects.

$65 monthly average
$55 monthly for family
$32.50 for volunteer

Cool concepts I found:
“Opening and closing” lists (I know we are 24/7 but it’s what to check when you’re the last out/first in)
Field trips
What do we need to thrive- Instigation, participation, experimentation, communication, collaboration, exploration, appreciation (love)
Certification Prerequisites @John_Marlow @AlexRhodes http://thecuriousforge.org/certification-prerequisites/

3 Likes

I see that Curious Forge (love that name!) did a lot of work reviewing YouTube videos for their certification (training) section. We can likely steal (ummm, leverage) their work. (Isn’t multiple plagiarism called research?)

5 Likes

When working and a good idea was seen we called it “Stealing Shamelessly”

2 Likes

(sense of humor required; likely culturally insensitive, and if you don’t know anything about the “artist”, maybe read up a bit first, eh?)

In the USAF we called it “Benchmarking” it was a part of how to perform process improvement or performance enhancement.

(Realized I posted in the wrong thread)

I went to visit Columbus Idea Foundry yesterday.

It is a cool blend of a makerspace and a coworking space.

Notable items:

Front Desk Personal
VR Stations
Multiple shops for dedicated class rooms
60K sq feet

1 Like

“Bench marking” is how to learn what to steal.

1 Like

I like the basic format of this page, we could adapt to to our DMS by listing tools that have costs s associated with them: Training and use. Membership handbook could have a link to it - since it would be somewhat dynamic.

Chart

Looked at their basic member handbook. Basic Fee is $65 but costs start there. Just a few differences between DMS:

Record your tool use. We log our tool use on the honor system. Using tools is a privilege of membership and is not covered by your membership dues. This is how we pay for maintaining working tools, getting new tools, and replacing consumables.

So use of tools are pay as you go. So in addition to $65, you pay to use tools. In fairness they have only 300+ members, we have 5 times as many members to spread cost over. But

MIG welding & plasma $15 DMS MIG is $20/hr of actual weld time not use of machine time
Metal $10 DMS FREE
Blacksmithing (forge) $20 DMS $10 on days held
Blacksmithing, other $10 DMS Free of use of Tools
Metal Casting $20 DMS - You provide propane, but less than $20/hr operating cost
Woodworking $ 5 DMS Free use of all tools
Shopbot $25 DMS Free: Shapeoko, Haas
Laser (Trotec) $35 DMS $12/hr of RUN Time not time at machine.
Laser (Full Spectrum) $30 DMS $12/hr of RUN Time, not time at machine.
3D Printer (Lulz Bot) $10 DMS FREE (note assumes you provide material as they require)
3D Printer (Form1) $12 + Resin DMS FREE use plus Resin

These RFID photo badges are your ‘key’s’ into and around the building. You must have yours with you at all times. Never share or loan your ID to anyone else._
Notify staff immediately if your photo ID is lost or stolen.
Additional ID’s and key FOB’s can be made on site($8 each).

I see good and bad with photo ID badges. One just knowing names and who is a member vs a stranger walking around.

This is interesting, not sure we want to go the rental route, but when folks complain about storage, this is relevant, might cure so problems.
_How do I get billed? _
By the 1st of each month, you will receive an invoice for the current month’s membership fee, shelf rental / storage rental / studio rental fees, as well as the tool usage fees from two months prior.

They have some good things to be sure. My purpose for comparison is folks may be under estimating what a value our membership fees and usage fees (the few we have) really are. I also see a lot of HF tools.

1 Like

Eventually (hopefully) we will have one here in NW Arkansas… We are working towards one.

2 Likes

Hello Stitch

Sewing, Quilting, Crafting
Berkley California

Daily memberships $25
monthly memberships $75
Student memberships $65

Looks like it’s centered around a long arm and computer aided sewing. Classes are in addition to the membership - a few are free but majority of them are at an additional cost

I like how they have events and classes in two different areas - not saying we need that because it would be a disaster.

Pretty cool stuff
@MellissaRhodes @John_Marlow @Kriskat30 @Hardsuit

6 Likes

Was reading their policies and saw this:

In the interest of providing service to all of our members, we reserve the right to limit attendance to three days per week

So basically, you get 12 days a month for $65. Maybe more. Still that’s only $5/day - but interesting you can be limited to 3 days a week.

Likely they have space issues and with everyone wanting
to use the same machines, that could be problem,

We have an advantage because of so many things one can do at the
space, Sewing machine occupied? I could go work on jewelry ro
clay instead or even just hang out for awhile,

1 Like