The Painting Booth Thing (Again)

Fight the government on your own time and place. As for those of us that are charged with managing DMS, we are beholden. Compliance shall be the order of the day.

11 Likes

Well, they were brain-dead. They stayed up too many hours, and were suffering from sleep deprivation, and they plain flat forgot. Or, if we didn’t lock up the paint booth with the You Have Heard the Rules class, they’re the member that meanders in, sees we have a paint booth, and just starts spraying. Mind you, I have no idea how the city would know that was going on.

Signage won’t help. Many people just don’t see signs. Non-member (attending class or meeting) went to leave, and tried to head out the door to the supply closet. WHICH HAS A PERFECTLY LEGIBLE SIGN RIGHT AT EYE LEVEL. I told him he needed a key fob to open that door (not realizing that he was trying to get out), and he said “just to get out?” I pointed him to the right door, and then sat here staring at the sign, being amazed by his lack of reading skills. I mean – I get it. I’m out on the far end of the bell curve on reading. He was probably on the other edge of the bell curve. But – he’s not alone.

2 Likes

Not to mention WHERE THE HELL WOULD YOU EVEN CARVE OUT SPACE?

Not just a dead horse, but a horse beyond use as dog food or even glue.

3 Likes

I have come across plans for a “pop-up” booth. I.E. something that can be easily assembled out in the parking lot out of PVC pipe, bungee cords, and plastic sheets. Include a plywood ‘floor’ and you have a totally enclose area

i believe that they also sell inflatable ones too, but i need to google that to verify
[EDIT] yes they do https://www.amazon.com/Happybuy-Inflatable-13x8x7ft-Portable-Workstation/dp/B07LDNL7GF/ref=asc_df_B07LDNL7GF/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=385191960206&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6297062204856651670&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9027194&hvtargid=pla-847023645488&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=78285594413&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=385191960206&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6297062204856651670&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9027194&hvtargid=pla-847023645488

People are lazy. Many also don’t care.

Just look at the concrete out back and you can see evidence of “typical” behavior.

Fighting the Govt. seldom works, except in the political arena. DMS isn’t (or shouldn’t be) a political body.

In keeping with this idea, I think it is important to understand the mindset of EPA and NFPA when they crafted their rules. EPA was driven by the concept that the propellants in aerosol cans, blow a hole in the Ozone Layer. NFPA was all about preventing fires and explosions from the concentrated use of volatile solvents.

I have no problem with banning spray can paint from a painting booth. Anything you can do with a spray can, can pretty much be done with an air brush, only better. The same goes for larger jobs. Wagner and Graco make some fine sprayers which use No Propellant. The only solvents involved are the chems in the paint itself. I’ve painted boats, houses, and cars using a Wagner.

So we don’t trust our members to clean up DMS owned spray guns…make them bring their own. All we have to provide is a painting booth, with compressed air, and proper venting. A Class in Airbrush would be pretty cool too!

You know what, I say lets just go for it!!! A paint booth would get a ton of legitimate use and should be very easy to lock for controlled access. There is definitely a scenario where we can do this correctly at DMS. I would bet a paint booth is worth well over $50,000 in use to DMS per year. This through either billing for use or increased membership. Think about that, you could pay a person to monitor each person using the booth.

Charge, $20 per hour of booth use with the requirement that a signed off monitor be at the space during the use, corroborating all paper work is filled out and saved. Pay the monitor $10 per hour for the service and all monitors must have been approved through the committee in charge of the booth through some class by the committee. Then the monitors build a calendar of when they will be at DMS to allow booth use. If you want a monitor there on your time frame, just reach out on talk and request it, this request could include additional money to make up for the inconvenience or just to entice a monitor to better fit your schedule.

This means we would only have to closely police the monitors. The monitors would further police the membership for the DMS. There are plenty of people at DMS that just want to help, this allows them a great way to help and get thank yous and some cash. It also backs into the idea of an onsite employee without having an official employee.

2 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

1 Like

Frankly that was one of the better solutions to this problem that might actually work, and additionally solve some other supposed “problems” that we have at DMS.

Edit: Note that this only applies to the paperwork issues. Locating space, electrical and venting work, etc. would still be massive issues to deal with, and IMO not worth the expenditure of volunteer time and DMS funds over other more needed items and issues.

1 Like

Easier solution: take your parts away from DMS to spraypaint, then bring them back.

Not done at DMS = not a DMS issue.

That’s why the bed of my pickup has “blacksmith” purple paint marks in it.

5 Likes

The whole thing is a non starter.

1 Like

Here is the issue. We seem to be ignoring a major want of our organization by not having a paint booth. At the same time we are turning a blind eye to many members that do projects at dms that require a paint booth, as long as they don’t make an issue for others. Then there are the issues of dealing with those that do projects that require a paint booth that don’t fly under the radar.

Will it be the down fall of dms to not have a paint booth, no. But, how do we intend to bring back our growth if we continue ignoring major wants of the community. Personally, I find the paint booth a very difficult problem. But, a very solvable problem as so many companies use them every day. I’m sure if you look at the lists of committees we have, few would get more use than a paint booth given the same financial spending. It would likely be in our top four with laser, creative arts, wood shop and automotive.

In fact, beyond digital media and maybe science, all other committees would have use of the finishing techniques you could apply in a paint booth.

But, it will take buy in and the TALK forum is not the place to build that. As there are to many that would rather yell ideas down. Rather than allow the space and time needed for those that are interested to gather.

But, I can put this up to dms, I can run for bod on just the issue of tackling putting in, organizing, and planning a paint booth. If people want it, they can vote for it. If they don’t, o well more free time for my many hobbies.

I’m not emotionally attached to a paint booth, but see it as a very exciting idea for bringing back that wow to dms. This is something that feels like it is dying at dms now.

Holy Mother of Mary … Can’t you acknowledge that the control requirements outlined in previous replies is not a process that makers are likely to comply with effectively to ensure the accountability necessary for this activity? We can’t get even experienced MS members to reliably push the green button on the dust collector and open a blast gate. Actually logging usage correctly is several orders of magnitude beyond what members daily demonstrate the inability to comply with.

3 Likes