The New Software Development Committee ***APPROVED***

Well, we did it… Software Development is now officially a committee!

Thank you all who showed up to express your support for the new committee. For those of you who were not able to make it to the board meeting last night, at one point I asked a show of hands who was in attendance specifically for the new committee agenda and roughly 2/3’s of the audience raised their hand. The support in numbers was what helped push our agenda through with little to no resistance from the board.

Moving forward, a date has been set for December 5th when the founding chair will be voted into office. Until that time, I will act as interim “leader”, organizer, and point of contact. I am recusing myself as a potential chairperson of the new committee.

For those who are qualified and an organizer, recruiter, motivator, delegator, visionary and leader I ask that you please consider running for the founding chair position and help form this new committee into greatness.

If your interest is in software development, visit the new wiki and add your name to the member list before the first meeting to be considered part of the founding committee: https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Software_Development

Once again, thank you all for support!

8 Likes

Congrats on the board vote. I’ll be running for chair as stated doing the meeting.

Also note the community’s voice has been heard and:

• That VCC does have a modern Macintosh Tower PC which was donated to us earlier in the year that is ready to bring back onsite to the ICM.

• VCC has been able to publish to apple store and google play store via our relationship with Da Planet Security we’ll be able to set this up for the space as a whole. A free intro to android development and app publishing has been added this weekend.

• Committees and groups have already been able to use the github.com/dallas-makerspace github group. The usual process to message Stan and/or myself to get one added.

• Further discussion on classes such as android, progressive web apps, and iphone can be brought up at anytime and will be discussed at the VCC Meeting on the 20th

• Either committee, and any one of the membership can present at the TED Style talk at UTD we’ll be hosting in January. PM your slide deck to myself and we’ll get things setup.

• Development within the makerspace has already been headed up with our scrum meeting taking place earlier in the week. We have agreed that the active chair of infrastructure is the Product Owner with the chair of VCC standing in as scrum master and dedicated development.

The results of this scrum is https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/helpline-at-the-space/17072/6 and we are looking for additional developers that wish to help work on the code and the initial work on the demo is being documented in that same thread.

• If there’s any resources I can bring to help the Software Development Committee, and since I’ve been in the software development industry for over 20 years that is a lot that ranges across several areas, then let know.

• I did hear a few subjects that where brought up in the BoD and I’ll be more than glad to make those immediately happen. But I also want to this committee a success so I would need to know what you guys want to have happen after those items and when we want that to happen?

• I also want to hear what you guys want for the SDC’s hackathon and what kind of reward we would like to see for those whom complete it?

Ultimately lets be excellent and do some great things as a whole community.

I was disappointed you couldn’t make last night’s meeting to show your support and solidarity. You have great ideas and I’ve noticed you spend a great deal of your time volunteering to improve the overall health of the community. Your contribution to the new committee will be powerful and I look forward to working with you in the future.

Thank you for all you continue to do for the software development community and DMS as a whole.

-Coul

3 Likes

I love that you’ve already added the software development committee to the wiki. Good job!

1 Like

Also added to QuickBooks. Is this how it will be in the honraria export? Just need to match what is exported from the calendar system.

37 PM

Along those lines, does it need to be added to the Calendar system in case someone wants to direct an honorarium there?

1 Like

Who’s got the contact details of our current chairman? I’m needing to talk to him about a few hackathons and other proposals. Plus the wiki has yet to even be updated with the latest meeting notes, so if anyone has those please email them to [email protected] and I’ll get the wiki fixed up promptly.

It has been added to the calendar as “Software Development” for Honorarium.

2 Likes