The Miller Dynastay 280 TIG Welder is not working properly

The Dynasty 280 is not having any argon flow. I checked the regulator and it is having a positive gas flow. When the petal is pressed down the regulator will initially show that the gas is flowing but it immediatly drops off to almost zero. The regulator has two outputs so I connected the welder to the other output but I had the same issue. I looked at the hose and didn’t see any cuts where gas could be leaking.

As for me I just came in to get some weld time in so I am in no rush for anyone to look at this. Since I am here I’ll unplug the machine and put an out-of-order sign on it.

2 Likes

I can take a look at it Sunday unless someone else gets to it first

1 Like

The torch wasn’t assembled quite right, I forgot to take a picture, the collet body was barely engaged, I think I felt 1 or 2 turns before it came out. It was deep in the cup,and came out when I tried to unscrew the cup. I took the cup off, screwed in the collet body, then put the cup back on.

There is an oring missing from the back end of the Tig torch. And I think a little one on the threads that shouldnt be there. I need to take another look at it when I’m in sunday.

Also when I first checked it there was a very low flow of shielding gas no matter how far out I turned the flowmeter knob. One of the casters under the welder was pinching the hose. I unzipped the cover and didn’t notice any damage to the hoses. Of course I didn’t discover the pinched hose until after i messed with the regulator and supply hose trying to figure out why the flow was so low.

1 Like

So the back cap insulator was sitting on the machine. Not sure why it wasn’t on the torch but its there now. I ran it at about 15CFH with 1/8” aluminum. I only put the back cap insulator on & put 3/32” tungsten in it.

I did have an issue with gas coverage earlier in the week, it ended up being my brand new gas lens collets. The orifices in them were noticeably smaller. I replaced them with new ones from Metroplex.

1 Like

I got new collets as well, I didn’t even think about trying my old one on it. Well I guess I got something I can send back.

Always check the torch setup as it’s common to find it loose or with a clogged gas lens.

Loose, damaged or dirty collets can overheat the torch, best to spend the extra minute.