The Machine Shop needs YOUR help with the bandsaw

the bandsaw blade in our metal cutting bandsaw is shiny and new. Thank You Tim Bene for welding and grinding that.
How long it stays in working mode depends on how people will use it. There is a label warning on the bandsaw that reads “Do Not Push - Let the Blade Do The Job”. So, if you see someone using the bandsaw and abusing it, PLEASE step up and remind them to let the blade do the work. We all know that some people don’t think the rules apply to them, but a casual reminder might help us to keep from replacing the blade any sooner than necessary.

We took the old bandsaw blade and broke it up in lengths so that people can learn to weld and grind a bandsaw blade together. We’ll work up a demo sometime soon for those interested. Cheers!

7 Likes

Where are the broken up old blade samples being kept?

Currently on the bandsaw. Or at least they were. Tip, the anneal cycle isn’t timed. Just the weld cycle.

Right beside the bandsaw

Thank you for replacing it!!!

Also, USE THE SPEED CHART AND CORRECT BLADE SPEED! If you’re cutting metal, chances are the blade should be moving SLOWLY… ON THE SLOW SETTING…

2 Likes

Sure. Not a whole lot to it.

I just helped. Tim B did all the heavy lifting.

So what’s the deal with this now? Was hoping to be able to use this to finish a project up and the blades are removed and the saw is locked out.

What’s the process for using this now?

the blade needs to be re-welded. until that happens it is locked out as a safety feature (not that it’s usable). I won’t be there before Thursday. If someone knowledeable can weld and install a blade we can unlock it. Both David and I have the combo to the lock.

There are three blades here, one probably the old one, one that looks in good shape, and one very wide one in a box… are all of these blades unusable?

I’m out until mid August because of my flying schedule if I don’t get it done by Thursday AM… rabble.

one is the old blade which is basically new. the other is shorter and can be used to add length to the existing one if we have to piece in a part. the larger one is questionable as to whether the built in welder can handle it. It only had about 1/2" of depth. The length needs to be 150 1/2".

1 Like

I looked at the blade welder today but I ran out of time. I’m not sure that little grinder is up to the task. The blade ends need to be ground to match perfectly and the after the welding and annealing the weld needs to be ground flat. It doesn’t help that the column is a bit in the way. Does machine shop have a grinder or is there one we can use in the metal shop? I can come out tomorrow night or sometime over the weekend if anyone wants to figure it out.

done. we’re operational again.

2 Likes