The hippest internet cafe of 1995

2 Likes

You think they mean CU-SeeMe?
I’ll admit having been out of touch by 1995, my life taking a significant right turn from my linux .12 (or so) days, so maybe I don’t remember this. But I did still have a toe into this world, and “chat” did NOT mean video to anyone I knew at that time…

yeah CU-SeeMe sucked… of course what would one expect from the phone department of cisco. https://www.ibiblio.org/cisco/lounge/cusm.html

At lease because of it we got icq then yahoo/aol and skype.

1995… lets see I was knee deep into running a BBS, pirating warez, reversing DOS apps, writing QuickBasic apps and learning html 3.2 plus C. Wouldn’t be a year later that I got into Linux with redhat.

But surprised they brought up Phiber Optik (Mark Abene); since that’s a blast from the past I had a lot of his stuff come across my board and remember getting into a debate or two with him in #hackers on axenet, efnet, or irc.2600.net. Of course axenet was home of the LOA hackers and efnet/2600.net where the go to spots for anything hacker plus if I remember right loa had a thing or other against the LoD hackers Mark was a part of. I forget though; since I never did bother Revelation back then too much.

2 Likes