The 15minute volunteer creative arts brainstorm

@Team_Creative_Arts and general members let’s start to brainstorm a list of 15minute - 30m tasks that can happen inside the CA room.

Take out the trash and replace the liner (check cabinets in the galley)
Wipe down tables with cleaner
Scrape off the vinyl on the ca door (closer to move out)

And on and on and on…
Start listing

Hunt down the scissors and return them to the scissors rack (periodically).
Label all the portable furniture (i.e., chairs and trashcans) with pink tape.
EDIT: Throw away all the fabric scraps lying on top of the sewing tables. (people seem to think other folks want their scraps).

This isn’t a 15 minute task but it periodically needs doing - take a couple aprons home, wash them, and bring them back.

1 Like

Start in ELab. Also glue guns.
Plz mark CA stuff bright fluorescent pink.
Continuously cleaning up after the lazy arses that insist on leaving other committees stuff in the Elab.

2 Likes

Check consumables stock, wipe down tables,

Edit: I guess you don’t have to wipe down the tables twice…

1 Like

Does Electronics have scissors? Are they readily available? It’s my theory that people take tools from other places because they can’t find them in the place where they are. As a corollary, I think people abuse some things because they can’t find the right tool. For example - people use fabric scissors because they can’t find a decent pair of paper scissors.

@Nate … I have to chuckle. I had wipe tables on my list, too! But you’re wrong. Those tables are frequently filthy. They can be wiped twice, three times, four times …

1 Like

… Or ten times with half a bottle of acetone because oxblood dye jumped in the way of your hand :dizzy_face:

2 Likes

How does a plebeian such as myself tell the difference between the regular CA scissors and the fabric CA scissors, I don’t think I’ve seen any with fabric only on them?

Thanks for asking!

1. First of all, if they’re good scissors, they’re probably fabric scissors. The fabric scissors are about $20 each. The “regular” scissors are about $2 to $3 each.
  2. The fabric scissors are supposed to be marked “fabric” or “fabric only”.
  3. The fabric scissors are not supposed to be hanging on the magnetic rack.
  4. If a pair of scissors comes from the sewing desk or from a sewing machine “kit” box, they are likely fabric scissors.
  5. The last set of fabric scissors we bought had pink “designer” handles on them to try to set them apart.

If you find a pair of scissors marked “fabric” on the magnetic rack, please put them into a drawer on one of the sewing tables.

2 Likes

Can do, I knew the magnet rack was for the cheapo ones. I kinda figured the more expensive looking ones or fiskars brand were at least special use but there’s a bunch of possibilities in that room. Thanks for the info

Another 15 minute task … locate all the fabric scissors and refresh the “fabric only” marking.

3 Likes

I’d be happy to try and revive any wrecked scissors that would be worth salvaging, I’m vaguely competent at sharpening scissors now

3 Likes

Have at it.

Every committee needs to be checking their tools to see if any tools have strayed into
their area. Thurs night, I returned 2 hammer sot metal show. last nignt it was a leathe
mallet from CA All found in the JSM tools

Sounds like a job for Metaza?

Hmmm … Interesting idea. I don’t think the scissors fit into the metaza’s enveloped, but we might be able to put them in there somehow sticking out.

I believe we also have a diamond point or rotary engraver.

1 Like

We did but I haven’t seen it for awhile.

Just found a pair of labeled fabric only scissors.

In the woodshop.

1 Like

Wanna guess whether they were cutting fabric in the woodshop?

Sigh.

1 Like

There is the rotary tool in jsm, I wonder if they are laser able? If yall have some cutting poorly already I can take a look at them when I get to the space again, idk if someone could do that as a task and put them somewhere I can find them

2 Likes

Maybe get one of these to mark thrm

https://www.homedepot.com/p/WEN-Variable-Speed-Electric-Engraver-Kit-with-Stencils-21C/203604639?cm_mmc=Shopping|G|Base|D25T|25-9_PORTABLE+POWER|NA|PLA|71700000034127218|58700003933021540|92700031755124667&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIk6af6_PA3QIVwmSGCh1YpgOrEAQYASABEgJlx_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CIH8x_3zwN0CFYu0swodqBQENQ