Thar she blows! Fume hood just about ready

The fume hood is just about ready for general member use (after members take a certification class) but I’d like to begin working with a small handful of users first on a test basis to make sure all logistical and safety issues are covered. The fume hood will be mainly for working with strong acids and strong bases BUT NOT for work with hazardous organic solvents or reagents.

Some of the popular recurring ideas floated so far include:
*Electroplating
*Photoetching
*PCB fabrication
*Precious metal processes

Please reply or message me if you’re interested.

We’re also trying to figure out the appropriate way to price usage and would appreciate any insights on this matter e.g. a flat one time fee of $40 vs. $5 an hour

6 Likes

Historically the thought has been as an organization paying a one time fee does not cause someone to rush something that they should not rush. IE Feeds and Speeds on the CNC equipment.

7 Likes

I work with precious metals, and would be interested in being in the early group. If we can get this going, I would like to get a gold recovery/refining class going.

2 Likes

Awesome! Let’s get you and anybody else up and running asap. It’ll help things along tremendously if I can get a written procedure just to make sure everything is safe and also compatible with the activated carbon filter. The chemicals, amounts, and times are the main points of information needed. Here’s an example from the graphene synthesis procedure I’ll be teaching:

Tour Method for oxidation of graphite to graphene oxide
3 g of graphite and 18 g of potassium permanganate will be added to 40 mL of 75% phosphoric acid and 360 ml of 96-98% sulfuric acid and stirred by a magnetic bar inside of a reflux chamber for 12 hrs at 50oC to produce 5.6 g of graphene oxide.“

3 Likes

Several Thank Yous are long overdue for everybody’s help with this:

The previous Board and Membership for providing the funds to bring this resource to DMS
@actionjackson for finding and purchasing the hood
@stevescully for having the know how and foresight to construct the fan chassis and providing the on/off relay
@kobin for coordinating with the filter provider
@Diplomat for keeping a lookout for and providing the fans
@TBJK for bringing AWESOME metal working capabilities to DMS and taking time to show us the sheet break
Clayton Ganzer for welding it all together
Ben the Boy Genius for his work with RasPi control setup
@Ian_Jaeger for fashioning supports for filter housing

Thank you all! I hope it adds to all of our maker capabilities here at Dallas Makerspace!

4 Likes