Texas Power Rolling Outages

I think everyone should have to PEDAL for their power:

Climate Change? SOLVED!!
Energy Shortages? SOLVED!!
Obesity Problems? SOLVED!!
Pasty-white, pudgy, over-educated, under-skilled, privileged, eternal-graduate-school-student activists with too much time on their hands? SOLVED!!

You are welcome, America. :us:

p.s.: when I said “everyone” above, I meant everyone but me.

1 Like

Thats a yes for convenience, but modern fronthaul equipment can transport timing signals steady enough to maintain LTE level bandwidth services. 5G slicing required super precise timing, so yeah that could be impacted

Just ran across this article
https://www.powernationtv.com/post/ford-f-150-hybrid-used-to-power-texas-homes

Some serious design flaws with this setup.
Replace lamp with laptop logged into social media.
Stay healthy while getting your fix.

Many inverters have USB ports, thus there’s likely a (not pictured) phone plugged in.

Anyone care to guess how long it takes 50 degree water to freeze in an 8” pipe/hose with the record cold we had?

8 hours? :blankspace:

Less than 5 hours, to make 120 ft of ice pipe… Next time I see you in person I tell you more about it.

4 Likes

It will start to freeze in 49 minutes

Actually there’s a serous flaw in the setup. Can you find it?

Good question. My formal electronics training didn’t go much past Ohm’s Law, but the following initially stood out:

• One usually sees an alternator in these setups; I believe that in order to provide current the motor would have to be of the permanent magnet variety
  • The use of a diode on the battery cable suggests AC current, which is apt to be a tad inefficient charging a battery. And one might want a diode on both leads?

But a little googling shows that the MY1016 is a 24V DC motor, which is apt to make a typical 12V SLA unhappy. Powerbright inverters can be had in 12C and 14V flavours. You could drop to ~12V with enough diodes inline but that’s also inefficient.

The diode is to keep the battery from running the motor as a motor. And a 24 volt motor will put out 14-15 volts for charging at a likely more reasonable RPM than a 12 volt motor will. In fact, the battery will pretty much limit output voltage, and extra effort above the RPM required for the current battery voltage plus diode voltage will have more effect on charging current than voltage.

All that along with you have an unregulated voltage going to the battery. That battery is going to become very unhappy/short lived. Gel cell will tolerate some of this. Lithium - all bets are off.

Possible better set up. Replace batt w/ cap. Connect to buck-boost regulator. Set output to run batt charger ckt. Connect to batt and run the world.

Interesting fact - 1 hp ~= 750 watts. Your average bike pedaler ain’t gonna come close.

Trip through the way back machine. Family vacation to Chicago. One of the museums had a bike set up w/ generator. Was connected to 100 watt light bulb. The incandescent kind. Managed to get the bulb to light up, but not for very long. Don’t think they were to worried about someone burning out the bulb.

3 Likes

we have a pool and a spa hereby named shitcreek

2 Likes

It is no secret the Russians and Chinese have been working on antisat capability. Add to that they have their own “GPS” network and it is clear what they want to do…

1 Like

Just like cell phone jammers, gps spoofing/jammers are available. We’ll learn how to spoof/jam those new system. And if we’re smart, we’ll learn how to use those new systems. Learning old school methods is a good backup.

1 Like

The US has the GPS System,
The Russians have the GLONASS System,
The Europeans have the GALLIEO System,
The Chinese have the BEIDOU System,
and the Japanese have the QZSS System.

Most of the GPS Receiver chips out there are programmed to read any of these satellites. But, then again…all it takes is for a country during war time to simply upload a different set of firmware to their specific satellites, then all bets are off.

1 Like

Lol, Thankfully I know how to read a paper map.

1 Like

Check out the real story at U.S. Navy Brings Back Navigation By The Stars For Officers. A very chilling story that also talks about the Russians and Chinese.

1 Like

Yeah, I prefer hardcopy road map over the nav system in the car. Use the nav system as a backup to the map. Works good when you have daylight to spot landmarks etc. Navigating an unknown area in the dark gets interesting very fast. Things get more interesting when there’s no landmarks matching your map.