Testing Liquid for Glucose

I need to test liquid (homogenized) eggs for glucose content. I have some Benedict’s solution coming in but I was wondering if anyone knows of a more precise test. Eggs naturally contain about 0.4% glucose, which is near the lower threshold of the Benedict’s Test.

I’m about to attempt to desugar the eggs by fermenting them with Lactococcus lactis and need to measure the remaining glucose when the fermentation is complete.

Any ideas?

I would use the blood glucose meter that diabetics use. Internet says that egg glucose concentration is 0.8%.
The normal human blood glucose concentration is around 100 mg/dL ~ 0.1g/100g = 0.001 = 0.1%
So you need to dilute your sample 8x to get it within the range of the glucose meter. You can use PBS as a dilution solution because it maintains the same pH as human blood, which the glucose meter expects.
I would do a bunch of serial dilutions of 1/4th, 1/8th, and 1/16th. If you do the dilution and measurement right, your measurement should be half every time you do a dilution.

2 Likes

Here is a glucose meter for $9
https://www.walmart.com/ip/ReliOn-Premier-CLASSIC-Blood-Glucose-Monitoring-System/552134103?athbdg=L1200
We should have PBS in the lab. If not, we can order or make one.

1 Like

As someone who has worked in diabetes research labs for many years, I STRONGLY second this. I’ve use those POC meters to test all kinds of things. If you can get the viscosity right, they work like a charm.

If you can’t figure out the viscosity, though, your next best bet might be an ELISA. They’re very expensive and require plate readers (I’m not sure if DMS has one), but very precise. Something like this: https://www.thermofisher.com/order/catalog/product/EIAGLUC?ef_id=CjwKCAjw_b6WBhAQEiwAp4HyIC-3o2o1sUvSrkkg_0Iu95-9cAmMU-NEDalepyfZewvzTDv0mqtrbRoCq9YQAvD_BwE:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!3652!3!528398521427!!!g!!&cid=bid_pca_iel_r01_co_cp1359_pjt0000_bid00000_0se_gaw_dy_pur_con&gclid=CjwKCAjw_b6WBhAQEiwAp4HyIC-3o2o1sUvSrkkg_0Iu95-9cAmMU-NEDalepyfZewvzTDv0mqtrbRoCq9YQAvD_BwE

1 Like