Test a Turbomolecular Pump

Bah. Lost a long post. I want to extract rose oils from petals. It needs a vacuum, then CO2 under 5 atmospheres of pressure at about 80 degrees.

I have a concept of a setup kind of like a Marijuana grinder… a 3 chamber vertical device separated by screens. I understand this might sound a little sketch, but it’s very similar to how industrial machines work.

Please post your docs, we’ll have a look.

in that case a turbomolecular pump is totally overkill. The roughing pump you’d need to operate the turbo pump will be sufficient to pull enough of a vacuum for that. Turbo pumps are more for ultra high vacuum applications and you can only operate them if you have a roughing pump to get down to ~100mTorr (?)

Ok, then what is something useful we can use it for? Plasma electroplating? Truly I just want to see if the thing works right now.

So, the docs are scattered about a forum, start here:
https://fusor.net/board/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4036

On page 1 there’s also a link to a second forum which has tons of info.

Forgive me, I dove too deep and now I need some sleep. I’ll collect the parsed version for us tomorrow.

some applications that come to mind are anything that requires an electron beam: A scanning electron microscope isn’t too hard to build in principle, you just need a 1) high quality vacuum 2) electron gun 3) some electrostatic optics 4) detector

I seem to recall that you can build a detector on the cheap, and electron guns aren’t that hard to come by. The beam steering stuff is not difficult to do at all and can be as simple as a bit of wire.

You can even repurpose it to do electron beam lithography

Also something to deposit thin films would also be neat although you don’t need such a high quality vacuum

You need High Vacuum for anything involving particles. Electron beams, yes; but also chip manufacture, sputtered coatings on optics or anything, evacuating Gas Lasers for refilling, making vacuum tubes, Bose Einstein Condensates, etc… You can do the same thing with an Ion Pump, but you have to have a better sealed system, and it takes longer. These TurboPumps really are the cat’s pajamas when it comes to getting to High Vacuum quickly, which is why they are so popular.

The Fusioneers like to use the TurboPumps because they are good at evacuating their leaky test apparatus, but they still run them at 20-50 microTorr, which is well in the range of a roughing pump for a well sealed system.

@festercluck I have a TPU060 and a TCP121 controller. I think that should be close enough to test with?

Looks like this is the schematic. Do you have a cable?

Indeed, here’s the back of the controller for reference.

There’s a second cable that plugs into the round DIN (?) ports. It’s fastened to some device clamped around where the blades are on the unit. It looks to be some sort of magnetic pickup for RPM? I doubt it would be something for bake-out

I don’t see why it would be necessary if there’s already a motor that you could sense with, so maybe I’m mistaken

Here’s why I assumed the pump is a 040:
https://www.recycledgoods.com/pfeiffer-tpc-040-tph-040-turbo-pump-with-matching-controller-power-supply/
And again here:

@Russell_Crow I do not have the cable. I had something here I thought was appropriate, but turned out to only have 4 pins.

@michaelb @kbraby It appears the correct cable is 16 pin on the controller side, and 19 pin on the pump side.

I have a pinout! Or at least the means to get there.

It appears some of the extra pins may be for a built in heater.