Tesla Coil upcoming meeting - Sunday, January 29th

You would not keep it to demo on Thursday nights? I have other HV apparatus too!

1 Like

sure we can keep it I guess…I dont know, lets build it first and make a fantastic Youtube video that they can show and demonstrate possibilities at DMS!

Ok, more coil samples:

DRRSTC

Magnifier:

2 Likes

Handheld Tesla…pretty cool!

2 Likes

hi so someone told me you have made some before, well I want to make a large one, can we talk before the class? 10 min on phone?

Tesla invented the Transformer which is like one of the greatest achievements of mankind, frankly the Tesla Coil is just a toy, but he was a great man.

2 Likes

Great meeting this afternoon! I’m looking forward to working with the group on building a Tesla Coil! Thank you Josh Melnick (@Josh_Melnick) for setting up the meeting and to Ken Purcell (@Lampy) for giving the demonstration & sharing his knowledge on the subject!

1 Like

Yes thank @Josh_Melnick and @Lampy for putting this together. Great turnout and I’m also looking forward to future classes.

1 Like

Had I known we were going to have so many people attend our planning meeting, I would have brought more toys to show off. Maybe included an actual Tesla Coil :wink: :tesla:

1 Like

Good video! Thank you for sharing!

With the Tesla Coil that we’re going to build … We need to be able to make some lighting with it! :slight_smile:

How much and what tolerance Capacitors should I look for sir?

These are what most coilers use:

0.15uf 2kV Polypropylene Film, Low Inductance|Very High Peak Current

From Mouser $6.80
From DigiKey $6.80
From Arrow $5.82
From Eastern Voltage Research $5.50

Got the Tesla Museum Newsletter today

1 Like

ok how many should I buy?

Crap you would ask, to answer your question:

Part 1: Using the formula in the video above (math is my least useful skill):

Part 2:

Find RMS Voltage

15,000V * Square Root of 2 = 21,213 V

Caps are .15uf 2,000V DC rating

21,213 / 2,000 = 10.6065

Need at least 11 caps at a absolute minimum. More likely will need 20 caps.

More importantly we need to decide on a style first:

1. Old School Neon Sign Transformer based

2. Dual Resonant Solid State Telsa Coil (DRSSTC)

After that we can determine the Bill of Materials needed.

I want to do 1) Old School Neon Sign Transformer based

would you be free to meet this sunday and talk about the next step forward?

1 Like

Let’s have a meeting during the mid to late afternoon time frame on Sunday to discuss the next step and schedule.

Field trip to Oklahoma?

4 Likes

Oh Lord … That’s a monster! I would love to see it in operation! Let’s plan a trip!