Tektronix 455 Dual Channel 50 MHz Oscilloscope - Repaired

The Tektronix 455 Dual Channel 50 MHz Oscilloscope located in the Electronics Lab has been repaired. The Channel 2 Volts/Division switch was fixed. This is the only functional analog oscilloscope in the Lab. Yes, there are newer digital scopes in the Lab but one must be very careful with aliasing due to sampling rates. For some applications you just can’t beat using an older analog oscilloscope. This piece of test equipment will be back in the Lab on Wednesday.

12 Likes

Rich,

Have you checked how good its calibration is? May need some tweaking. Best thing about those old scopes is that calibration was a straight forward operation.

Woot! Thanks for doing this, Rich.

3 Likes

I’ll calibrate the Tektronix 455 Scope on Thursday night during the Open House. That way we have some activity in the Electronics Lab for the visitors to see.

4 Likes

I just finished repairing that Tektronix 455 Scope again. The Volts/Division knob on channel #2 broke again. My epoxy glue job apparently did not last very long. This time I machined a brass insert for that knob, it should not break again. I checked the calibration and it seemed to be pretty close. I have the User’s/Calibration Manual in a 3 ring binder. I’ll temporarily place the binder up by the LabVIEW books until a better home can be found. This is a real nice 50 MHz bandwidth analog Scope.

9 Likes

Thanks for putting so much into this!

1 Like